Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Model Railroading > Ever seen this brazilian model manufacturer?

Date: 02/08/11 17:00
Ever seen this brazilian model manufacturer?
Author: inCHI

I just came across Frateschi, a Brazilian model manufacturer.
(site: http://www.frateschi.com.br/)

They have quite a variety of models - freight cars, passenger, equipment, etc. There locomotives appear to cover many Brazilian prototypes, including a bunch of GE/EMD export locos and C30-7's. They have a nice variety of paint schemes as well.

The models seem all plastic, and perhaps somewhat crude compared to what is being offered in North America. But some of it is tempting... this tank car almost looks like an Argon tank car with the addition of head shields.

Date: 02/08/11 17:27
Re: Ever seen this brazilian model manufacturer?
Author: twin_star_rocket

They imported some FA-1s a while back, and I even contemplated getting one of the 2-C+C-2s as an ersatz New Haven loco.

http://www.frateschi.com.br/produtos/v8.php

Brian Ehni

Date: 02/08/11 17:40
Author: SantaFeRuss

Sure have. Like the poster said before me, they imported FA1 cab units. They also do C30-7's, EMD G12's, etc. One of my friends has a couple FA units. Not bad.

SantaFeRuss

Date: 02/08/11 18:38
Author: COFLZephyr

Sure I have seen them. Back in the 1990's I was the US importer for Frateschi doing business on the internet as RailroadModels.com. Most of my clients were in Israel, the Middle East, New Zealand. Australia and a few US modelers mostly for the commuter rail cars. Got out of that business back about 1998 or 1999 and within a few months railroadmodels.com was gone. (The new owner developed some health issue as I recall) They produced some nice little steam engines in HO with tender drives. The FA's were produced in some US road names but most of the models they produced are of EMD and GE exports sold to Latin American, Middle East, etc. (Were my market was). Company based in Ribeirao Preto Brazil is owned by Celso Frateschi (his father started the company). They used to produce US product for Atlas until Atlas took the work to China. They may still be producing for some US manufacturers. I still have a couple of their models for memories sake. At one time they were producing some covered grain hopper and coal hoppers in some US road names starting about 1999. Overall they make a nice entry level product but I do not know if they have kept up with DCC trends, etc. Lost touch with company around 2000.

Date: 02/08/11 21:18
Author: wag216

I think that the Con-Cor people are handling some of these cars. wag216

Date: 02/08/11 21:48
Author: rschonfelder

I think Walthers was the importer for the FA-1. Frateschi was the exporter (not importer) and manufacturer.

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/11 21:51 by rschonfelder.

Date: 02/08/11 23:59
Author: cchan006

I think Harry (tracktime) saw me hunting around for bargains when Berkeley ACE Hardware hosted a swap meet in spring of last year, and this was one of the items I bought.

As mentioned above, motor and drive wheels on the tender, decent details, runs decent, a little on the noisy side with gear mesh sounds.

Date: 02/09/11 07:44
Author: detiley

I have a couple of their GE U6B mobels to go with my GE 70 tonners. As said before, the drives are acceptable.

Date: 02/09/11 15:36
Author: inCHI

Does anyone have freight cars? Interesting to hear they are well-known.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds