Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn vs. Atlas - HO scale UMAX 53' Containers

Date: 07/10/11 20:01
Athearn vs. Atlas - HO scale UMAX 53' Containers
Author: MrMRL

Below, photo comparisons of two recent releases in HO scale. The subjects, the Atlas CIMC 53' and the Athearn RTR Jindo 53' domestic containers. Both models are decked out for UMAX, a joint intermodal container fleet between the Union Pacific and CSX railroads.

First the packaging...

Date: 07/10/11 20:02
Re: Athearn vs. Atlas - HO scale UMAX 53' Containers

Atlas on top.

Athearn RTR on bottom.

Date: 07/10/11 20:03

The roof & ends.

Atlas on top.

Athearn RTR on bottom.

Date: 07/10/11 20:05

Last, a prototype photo of UMXU 247422 (CIMC 53') from Devore, CA 8/21/10.

Date: 07/10/11 20:09
Author: BNSFer

Looks like Atlas got it right ("righter"?).

Date: 07/10/11 20:11
Author: DKay

thanks Robbie.I havent got my Atlas ones yet ,but was wondering how they compare to the Athearn ones.
Regards,Daryl kay

Date: 07/10/11 20:18

MSRP for the Atlas 3-pack $35.95, the Athearn RTR 3-pack $35.98. IMHO both examples are very well done with different high points from each manufacture. Though a slight advantage towards the Atlas model for color correctness and pad printing clarity. I've always been a fan of the etched metal hazmat placard frames found on the Athearn containers, over the ever so slightly thicker plastic details on the Atlas model.

Mr. MRL - needs about 80 more now...

Date: 07/10/11 20:20

BNSFer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like Atlas got it right ("righter"?).

Anyone have proto-photos of UMAX Jindos? do they exist?

Mr. MRL

Date: 07/10/11 21:19
Author: neilgross

MrMRL Wrote:
> BNSFer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looks like Atlas got it right ("righter"?).
>
>
> Anyone have proto-photos of UMAX Jindos? do they
> exist?
>
> Mr. MRL

I'm not sure if UMAX bought new Jindo containers, although I know some of the red Hub Group and white CSX Jindos have been remarked UMXU. Jindo changed their design slightly around 2001-2002, so the Athearn container would not be 100% correct in any event. The Athearn container is based on the original Pacer Stacktrain containers (blue corners) and some earlier APL containers with the sideways logo. Atlas did the later phase Jindo container, which is more accurate for Hub Group (red), CSX (white and How Tomorrow Moves), Pacer (red corners), NACS, STAX, and successors.

Date: 07/11/11 06:03
Author: brfriedm

I own both also as the UMAX containers on the CSX Philly sub are very dominate now on intermodal trains. Maybe 30% now. As far as I know, the Atlas containers are correct and the Athearn containers are foobies. I agree that Athearn got the color wrong. Bruce

Date: 07/11/11 07:16
Author: ghemr

Looking at prototype photos, there are some variations to the lettering and logo placement on the sides of the container. It appears that the older order of containers have the logo to the right, whereas newer containers have it on the left.....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2511589

Date: 07/11/11 08:02
Author: kdrtrains

If I was watching these (both types) go by on your layout, I would not notice any differences at all. The slight color differences would look more real anyway.

KR

Date: 07/11/11 16:20
Author: Espeenut

kdrtrains Wrote:
> If I was watching these (both types) go by on your
> layout, I would not notice any differences at all.
> The slight color differences would look more real
> anyway.
>
> KR

...not right now you don't, I've watched several solid trainloads of these go by recently, and they're all virtually the same color. Your comment will be true in a couple years, after they've collected some road grime, dust and sun fading, but certainly not at this point in time...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

Date: 07/11/11 19:40
Author: needles_sub

The Atlas container has corrugations that are not as beveled as the Athearn containers. Also the rib count is different between the them. The corrugations on the Atlas container look similar to the type on the JB Hunt containers.

Date: 07/15/11 16:17
Author: UPTRAIN

I will say the color and the door design is way more correct on the Atlas, but the Athearn still looks good. There seems to be a subtle bit of difference in the oldest UMAX containers and the newest ones already. When stacked in a well car there is already a noticeable difference in the fading/dustiness of the paint.

Pump

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/11 16:18 by UPTRAIN.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.055 seconds