Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Model Railroading > Track cleaning source requested

Date: 07/16/11 19:01
Track cleaning source requested
Author: Winnemucca

I am currently using the LGB track cleaning pad on my G size outdoor railroad. It works great! I put one on the end of a broom handle and it only takes 20 mins to get the entire RR clean, conductive and sparkling.

My only problem is that they wear out and must be replaced at $15 + shipping a pop. This adds up.

My question does anyone know, or have any leads, as to locating the manufacturer, vendor, distributor of the rubberized, slightly abrasive material LGB uses on the pad?

I'm thinking it would be a lot less expensive to purchase this material directly rather than going thru Trainworld or other LGB distributors.

Thanks for any suggestions on this.

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 07/16/11 19:04
Re: Track cleaning source requested
Author: J.Ferris

Winnemucca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am currently using the LGB track cleaning pad on
> my G size outdoor railroad. It works great! I put
> one on the end of a broom handle and it only takes
> 20 mins to get the entire RR clean, conductive and
> sparkling.
>
> My only problem is that they wear out and must be
> replaced at $15 + shipping a pop. This adds up.
>
> My question does anyone know, or have any leads,
> as to locating the manufacturer, vendor,
> distributor of the rubberized, slightly abrasive
> material LGB uses on the pad?
>
> I'm thinking it would be a lot less expensive to
> purchase this material directly rather than going
> thru Trainworld or other LGB distributors.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions on this.

John,

I believe the material is called Craytex (sp). I did some research on this a few years ago and there was a firm in Los Angeles that made the stuff if I recall correctly.

J.

Date: 07/16/11 20:09
Author: rehunn

Cratex was manufactured in NorCal, like in the Bderkely area?? for years, used to be an excellent account for
our SSF guys. I guess they're still around.

Date: 07/16/11 20:48
Author: sandpatch25

I have had one of those L.G.B. track cleaning pads for almost twenty years now. When you would think the ClayTex on the tool became dirty enough to replace it, I did not do so. This was simply because, even though it appeared to be filthy, it worked like it was brand new. And guess what..... I'm still using it without ever having changed the ClayTex and I don't have any intention to do so in the near future!

I also have a locomotive that is specifically made to do track cleaning maintnance automatically that has worked great for me. I don't think it is made anymore, however.

Matthew Jablonski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/11 21:58 by sandpatch25.

Date: 07/17/11 08:05
Author: czuleget

Look on the McMaster Carr web site should have the material you are looking for.
so far I can only come up with this page while looking.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#deburring-sticks/=d7sojz

One more page.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#deburring-blocks/=d7spur

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/11 08:17 by czuleget.

Date: 07/17/11 08:42
Author: rehunn

I think we're back to the CRC 2-26. I talked to a couple of the clubs when out for X2011 and there was
unanimous opinion on using the stuff. We run steel and have not had to clean track in a year. Get the
track fairly clean with a pad and apply a light coating of 2-26.

Date: 07/18/11 20:56
Author: atsfmodeler

Since this is more of an HO/O scale forum you might get more results elsewhere. However, I do HO in the basement and have a garden (G) gauge railroad in the backyard, which was basically built in 1989. I don't clean track, as I run radio control/battery packs using the RCS system from Australia. This lets me use Llagas Creek aluminum track since I don't need conductivity.

Bob

Bob Miller
Kansas City, KS

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0526 seconds