Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Model Railroading > Model Railroad Speedometer

Date: 09/12/11 13:34
Model Railroad Speedometer
Author: UPJeff

I have a customer looking for a model railroad speedometer. His layout is HO. I have looked online but the ones that I find do not seem to be available any longer (companies out of business?).
He is willing to build his own if he had the circuit. He would like to have it built into his layout such as the one that was made by TDP but will accept something such as the one that was made by MRT.
I am unable to locate the two companies, it appears that TDP may not be in business any longer and cannot find a website for MRT. Nothing in the Walthers catalog that I can find.

Are none of these available any longer?

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 09/12/11 14:10
Re: Model Railroad Speedometer
Author: Andre

Greetings Jeff

The same company that makes the Sprog II also make a speedometer that fits over the tracks, with a little modification it should be able to placed just about any where. I have several at the hobby shop that I work at. I will call them tomorrow and find out why they are not on his web site.

Andre

Date: 09/12/11 14:47
Author: brfriedm

Hey Jeff,

I own this one. It works well.

http://www.trainspeed.com/TrainSpeed1.htm
Handles one location.

http://www.trainspeed.com/TrainSpeed4.htm
Handles 4 locations.

You can buy them here. The owner of this shop is also 50% owner of TDP.

http://www.linsjunction.com/

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/11 14:48 by brfriedm.

Date: 09/12/11 15:34
Author: UPWPFan

Andre;

I think you are incorrect here. I am a SPROG II vendor and they do not make a model train speedometer. There is a Canadian Company (Bachrus) that makes a device to capture speed information from a reader module on a Bachrus "Saddle" running stand. JMRI (Decoder Pro) supports the Bachrus MTS-DCC Model train Speedometer, which is an input only device.

Jere Ingram

Date: 09/12/11 15:46

Bruce,

I will give him a call tomorrow. He does not list TDP as a line carried on his website and TDP website has not been updated since 2007.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 09/13/11 02:01
Author: rschonfelder

I recommend the Bachrus option. Still in business AFAIK.

Rick

Date: 09/13/11 14:55
Author: bxmoore

Buying something that's mobile, rather than static, makes it far more useful. Here's the Fleischmann Tachowagen that I bought a few years ago, and it measures the speed in scale KPH (very easy to convert into scale MPH), towed behind the locomotive. I use it to very accurately input the same 28-step speed curve into all my engines, so that all makes and decoders can run in consist with each other.

Brian Moore
Plymouth ,UK

Date: 09/13/11 17:01
Author: TCnR

bxmoore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Buying something that's mobile, rather than
> static, makes it far more useful. Here's the
> Fleischmann Tachowagen that I bought a few years
> ago...

Did some quick Google searches and ran across this conversion of a bicycle speedometer into model RR use, it based on Z-scale but the principle is the same. The front panel indicator may not work out but there are some interesting pointers for the circuit.

http://www.galepp.com/train/tacho/tacho-e.htm

Warning: involves actual combining of material in a process called building; some components were harmed or disfigured during this process.

Checking around on Amazon, these are apparently now made as a sensor and separate computer/display with an RF link already provided. Looking at the bottom of the 'galepp' webpage there is a discussion on how to calibrate the speedometer for the model RR wheel size. The computer needs to be able to handle a relatively unusual wheel size. Maybe it's doable, I don't have the parts on hand to check it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/11 17:14 by TCnR.

Date: 09/14/11 07:06

UPJeff Wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> I will give him a call tomorrow. He does not list
> TDP as a line carried on his website and TDP
> website has not been updated since 2007.

Hey Jeff. Did u give him a call and how did it play out?

Thanks

Bruce

Date: 09/14/11 07:09

Hi Brian,

The reason I like the static and the reason I put mine in is because during operating sessions, I noticed my crews were running too fast. So I put the unit in at a busy junction and told the crews they could not exceed 50mph which is the speed the real crews have to respect on CSX's Philly sub. A mobile unit would do me no good. Bottom line is the crews are always checking their speeds when they go by the speedometer and it's purpose was successful in slowing down the crews. Thanks.

Bruce

bxmoore Wrote:
> Buying something that's mobile, rather than
> static, makes it far more useful. Here's the
> Fleischmann Tachowagen that I bought a few years
> ago, and it measures the speed in scale KPH (very
> easy to convert into scale MPH), towed behind the
> locomotive. I use it to very accurately input the
> same 28-step speed curve into all my engines, so
> that all makes and decoders can run in consist
> with each other.
>
> Brian Moore
> Plymouth ,UK

Date: 09/14/11 10:09

Bruce,

I called over there this morning, he is not part owner but was helping them out. Due to health issues TDP has stop selling products. He did mention that NJ International was most likely going to take over the line and offer the speedometer.

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 09/15/11 09:14

Ok thanks. I was not aware of that. Good luck Jeff.

Bruce

UPJeff Wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> I called over there this morning, he is not part
> owner but was helping them out. Due to health
> issues TDP has stop selling products. He did
> mention that NJ International was most likely
> going to take over the line and offer the
> speedometer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0721 seconds