Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Model Railroading > How to bevel the edges on sheet styrene?

Date: 01/29/12 09:27
How to bevel the edges on sheet styrene?
Author: Clarence

Hi,
I'm scratching a building and I'd like to 45 degree bevel sheet styrene used for the walls. I'm talking about the 0.040 side of the sheet, so the two sheets butted together form a 90 degree angle.

I have a NWSL True Sander that is useful for truing the long edges and beveling strip stock, but the skinny edge - not so much.

Any ideas how to do this?

Thanks,
Clarence

Date: 01/29/12 10:04
Re: How to bevel the edges on sheet styrene?
Author: va3cp

Clarence,

Unless the styrene has a profile, say for instance clapboard, I would make a butt joint with a corner block and cover it with trim.

Unless you have a small belt or disc sander and go at it very slowly, you have a challenge.

I have a tiny block plane that is 1" wide that I use to chamfer wood. It could also be used for styrene.
Either way, it takes patience to get a perfect fit. Not sure where I purchased it but it does say "Made in USA"

Regards...

Dave Burroughs
Hamilton, ON

Date: 01/29/12 14:59
Author: swsf

va3cp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Clarence,
>
> Unless the styrene has a profile, say for instance
> clapboard, I would make a butt joint with a corner
> block and cover it with trim.

I've had good luck with a butt joint that has been patched with a homemade putty. To make the putty, place a few drops of solvent such as MEK or a liquid solvent type glue for styrene, let soak for a minute or two, then using a toothpick scrape the styrene inside the puddle to make a wet goop that when applied to the joint will fuse with the styrene. After sanding the joint will be invisible.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/12 15:00 by swsf.

Date: 01/29/12 21:15
Author: peddler

I mentioned this to my neighbor who teaches art. She thought a cutter
that is used to put a bevel on mat board when framing photos and art
work would work on styrene as well.

Did a search and came up with this link. This mat cutter is just one of
several in all price ranges. Before purchasing any cutter, you could take
a piece of styrene to your friendly local frame shop and ask their opinion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/32118-REG/Logan_Graphics_2000_Graphic_Series_2000_Mat.html

peddler

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/12 21:33 by peddler.

Date: 01/30/12 06:51
Author: sandmanre

I was trying to do the same thing and came up with this solution. If you have a table saw, or know someone that does, cut a 45 degree bevel on one edge of a piece of good plywood. You can them lay your styrene next to this beveled edge and using a block sander, sand the edge on the 45 degree angle. It worked pretty good for me and came out straight. It's good to have a way to hold the styrene down when sanding, like some kind of clamp.

Ron Evans
Golden Valley, AZ

Date: 01/30/12 07:31
Author: czuleget

Use a shooting board. What you need is a small board of maple or similar wood 3/4"thick x 12" long, even a board thicker at 1 1/2" is better and cut a 45 degree bevel on the board. using double stick tape set the styrene on the board letting the edge hang over so slight and wrap some sand paper around a block of hardwood and sand the 45. You can add a 2nd section of wood on the top of the styrene and clamp it using much less double stick tap which will allow you to have more surface area for sanding the 45 on the styrene and aligning it up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/12 18:27 by czuleget.

Date: 01/30/12 20:25
Author: Clarence

Those are good ideas. I thought of a 45-45-90 triangle to hold the sheet against a sanding block, but the beveled block is a much better idea. The mat cutter probably would work too.

It's vertical board and batten siding, so I probably can butt joint them once I cut off any battens along the edge.

Thanks,
Clarence

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0474 seconds