Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn Bombardier Commuter Cars - Running Push Mode

Date: 07/02/12 15:11
Athearn Bombardier Commuter Cars - Running Push Mode
Author: lynngrove

If anyone here has successfully operated their Athearn Bombardier Commuter Cars in push mode, please let me know what (if any) modifications or improvements you did to the cars to make them operate relaibly in push mode.

My TRE cars run somewhat okay in push mode on the club layout...but I would like them to run reliably in push mode.

Thank You
Tim

Date: 07/02/12 15:56
Re: Athearn Bombardier Commuter Cars - Running Push Mod
Author: gemcohauler

Mine run great in push mode in N Scale using Kato Unitrack. Have ran up to 5 cars plus the locomotive with no issues.

Tony R.

Date: 07/02/12 17:57
Author: rschonfelder

In reference to the HO version (GO Transit), the first production series that I had were not a good product in my opinion. The trucks were like sleds and they derailed especially in push mode. I bought some additional cars from a subsequent run and noted they were much better at tracking than the first three cars I had.

In the end I sold my 7 cars when I heard Jason Schron of Rapido putting out feelers for anyone interested if Rapido would do cars that would be correct for GO Transit. While he has not announced them and I suspect they may not occur soon or possibly ever(likely a small market), I truly was no longer interested in owning the Athearn cars. Gone!

Rick

Date: 07/02/12 18:58
Author: railstiesballast

My HO set from an early run had some wheels that were narrow gauge, they derailed in either direction. I had to widen the wheels out on the axles out on their axles to meet the NMRA gauge and from then on they run just fine in both directions.
They are not very free rolling but the Athearn F59 is almost solid metal so it has all the tractive effort needed to move briskly along.
I put a Richmond Controls light set in the cab car so the full headlight/red rear marker works. This is for DC operation. Not easy but quite rewarding.
But it is hard to explain what that train is doing in the canyonlands of New Mexico or the rain forests of Oregon.

Date: 07/03/12 06:09
Author: nathan314

My later run New Mexico cars run just fine in push mode without any mods at all. In fact, I don't think I've ever converted all the plastic couplers to Kadee's yet.

Nathan Beauheim
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/03/12 20:29
Author: wlindsays

The lead axle does not stay in gauge. Use your NMRA Gauge frequently.
Athern gave me new wheel sets to replace the early Proto style wheels.
The axles split and the wheels are out of gauge. The car flys on the next turnout.
Lindsay

Date: 07/04/12 08:43
Author: Larry020

I used Inter-Mountain ball bearing wheel sets in my OMI
California cars. I've been mostly pushing that train for years
at the club with few problems.

The IM axles were slightly longer than the OMI axles. I used a
Dremel to cut off half the cone. I put electrical tape over the ball
bearing race to keep out any stray fillings. I tried not to put too
much pressure on the dremel and cut slowly. I ruined one wheel
set. I needed 20 for my five cars. They were sold in packs of six.
I put the uncut extras under an Accurail covered hopper.

They have remained in gauge all these years later.

Larry

PS After you make the ball bearings fall out, it's pretty much
useless after that. It's like trying to put the smoke back in the
can motor, or putting the Genie back in the bottle...

Date: 07/04/12 16:39
Author: dbrcnw

I too had a problem with the wheelsets on the early run cars. Changing them cured most of the problems but I have had some minor diaphragm snagging on some curves. I was surprised at that since the club layout has very wide curves.

Dale

Date: 07/08/12 19:45
Author: tq-07fan

I have two undecorated cars that I was going to use the rschonfelder method to fix. They are still for sale but maybe I can get the replacement wheelsets before someone else has two good looking cars that don't stay on the rails for crap.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds