Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn RTR SP SD40T-2s......

Date: 08/03/12 08:50
Athearn RTR SP SD40T-2s......
Author: sphauler

I've been looking for a supplier who might have these in stock but no luck so far. Does anyone know where I might find them? I know they were released several years ago but I missed the boat.

sphauler

Date: 08/03/12 09:33
Re: Athearn RTR SP SD40T-2s......
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Ebay?

Date: 08/03/12 10:33
Author: neilgross

I think several of the hobby shops in the SF Bay Area still have some of the most recent run (snoots in the 8377-8391 number series).

Date: 08/03/12 11:33
Author: funnelfan

Boy, you really did miss the boat. It used to be that the RTR Tunnel Motors were all over Ebay and could be had for cheap. But right now they are few and far between. Glad I got my fleet when I did.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/03/12 11:45
Author: sphauler

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Boy, you really did miss the boat. It used to be
> that the RTR Tunnel Motors were all over Ebay and
> could be had for cheap. But right now they are few
> and far between. Glad I got my fleet when I did.

Thanks for rubbing it in Ted! LOL jk

Date: 08/04/12 06:04
Author: Olympian-Hiawatha

The Train Crossing in Costa Mesa has them in stock. 714-549-1596 Ask for John.

Date: 08/05/12 05:05
Author: tmotor

Been watching eBay for a few months now, looking for short-nose SP units. Several came up in January, then maybe one a month after that. Need 2 more to complete my fleet. If you have some spare units, list them. You will get close to list price, from me anyway. ;-)

I have seen more frequent eBay listings for UP units, like 3 a month. Thought about stripping and repainting one, but it will be much easier to wait for one in SP colors. However the thought of repainting a Tunnel Motor from UP colors back into SP Scarlet & Grey almost seems too appropriate. ;-) LOL

Was hoping Athearn would rerun them, but with the main Chinese model railroad manufacturing facilities now in the hands of Bachmann, chances are slim there will be much in the way of SD40T-2s coming out of China from Athearn for a while.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/12 05:22 by tmotor.

Date: 08/05/12 12:14

Appreciate the heads-up on the Train Crossing. They have two 116" Tunnel Motors left, SP 8306 and SP 8353. $100 each. They will ship to your address.

Date: 08/05/12 21:26
Author: Larry020

Try calling the Train Shop in Santa Clara, CA.

I will be taking some undecorated tunnel motors to sell at Napa.
If they don't sell there, they will go to eBay (eventually).

Larry

Sorry, I should have mentioned

When
Sat, August 18, 8am – 2pm
Where
Napa Valley Expo 575 Third St. Napa CA 94559

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/12 21:40 by Larry020.

Date: 08/08/12 08:52

Wrote:

I decided I was tired of waiting for a rerun by Athearn, and used the brute-force method to conduct a search. I took the latest issue of Model Railroader, went to the list of retailers in the back, and looked for any with an e-mail address. Sent 28 e-mails asking for any of the 6 released short-nose units (with Athearn part # and SP road #), 4 bounced due to bad e-mail address (I did double-check, I typed it correctly), got 14 responses, AND one of those was a hit! TPA Hobby Center in Missouri had one left. SNAG! It should arrive this week. ;-D The one from Train Crossing (THANK YOU to Olympian-Hiawatha for the lead on that one) should arrive today or tomorrow. These 2 units will round-out my fleet of Tunnel Motors, for now (LOL).

Some hobbyshops responded they had a few of the last run of 116" nose units left. Train Crossing (714-549-1596), AA Hobbies (aahobbies@gmail.com), Central Coast Trains (cctrainsa@hotmail.com)
If you are in the market for a used 123" nose unit @ $55, contact Tommy at tghbyshp1@embarqmail.com

There are still some Tunnel Motors on shelves, you just have to be willing to look harder to find them. Hope you find the Tunnel Motors for your fleet. ;-)

Date: 08/08/12 12:22
Author: N-Scale-Mike

try lombard hobby's website, when I worked there they still has them in stock

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds