Home Open Account Help 267 users online

Model Railroading > Accurail 4750's

Date: 11/11/12 12:13
Accurail 4750's
Author: bnsfsd70

Hi,
I recently saw somewhere about an announcement of these cars by Accurail at the show this weekend, but have not been able to find anything online about them yet. Any of you have any more information on these?

Thanks,
Jeff Carlson

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/11/12 12:27
Re: Accurail 4750's
Author: fbe

Probably another run of the ACF hoppers.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 11/11/12 12:32
Author: obsessedfoamer

Don't waste your time, go with Tangent!! Can't find a nicer car.

PT

Date: 11/11/12 13:42
Author: SPDRGWfan

Only covered hoppers I am aware of by Accurail are the CF4600 hoppers, which BTY, no body else makes in plastic to my knowledge.

Date: 11/11/12 16:03
Author: bnsftcdiv

Accurail did announce a PS 4750 by a poster at Trainfest.

Date: 11/11/12 16:20

bnsftcdiv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Accurail did announce a PS 4750 by a poster at
> Trainfest.

It will be interesting to see if Accurail has bought someone elses tooling or if they are creating new molds. Much of what Accurail offers is based on tooling they purchased.

There appears to be no info on Accurails website that I can see.

Date: 11/11/12 16:57
Author: bnsfsd70

Yeah, I know it won't be anything like the Tangent, but if its of Trainman quality and reasonably priced, I can see these being good sellers, esp. with cool paint jobs.

We'll see what they come up with. Anyone have any pics of the poster?

Thanks,
- Jeff

Date: 11/11/12 19:45
Author: pmack

How much difference is there between the Pullman Standard and Trinity 4750s? As a mid 1990s BN modeler, a long string of the brand new Trinity cars would really set the time. I've looked at the Tangent cars and they are quite nice but at almost 3 Accurails for one Tangent, I'd like a few Accurails to fill out the train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/12 19:46 by pmack.

Date: 11/11/12 20:06
Author: iaisfan

Tom Austin kindly posted a link to his Trainfest pics in another thread, and among them was this one of the Accurail 4750 poster:

http://www.pbase.com/joppasub/image/147277229

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 11/11/12 20:31
Author: JoppaSub

FWIW, the end cages are very well done...yes, they are molded on grabs...but if you have tried Accurail's 70 AAR offset open hoppers...the detail is superb. They are close to Kadee-style castings on the end cages. Accurail is saying right now the price is in the $17 price ballpark range.

Thomas Austin
Centralia, IL
Joppa Sub Layout Site

Date: 11/11/12 20:49

What I don't understand is if this is already done by Intermountain, and possibly Tangent soon, why redo what is already done by two others?

Date: 11/11/12 22:52
Author: drolsen

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> What I don't understand is if this is already done
> by Intermountain, and possibly Tangent soon, why
> redo what is already done by two others?

No offense to Accurail or anyone that enjoys their models, but I don't see them as competition against Tangent or the other manufacturers whose models I normally buy. Accurail is an outstanding brand for entry- and mid-level modelers, with their easy assembly, pretty reliable operation, and good paint jobs (even if not completely accurate and/or stand-ins). They're even good for other modelers who aren't as picky as me, with a few added details and weathering (especially if there's no other game in town, like their autoracks and woodsheathed box cars). But personally, as a '90s modeler, I stopped buying their models a while back, with the exception of some undecorated ACF 4600s that I'm trying to superdetail with Intermountain ACF 4650 parts (probably just in time for someone to announce a Tangent-quality model). It's just too much work for me to try to detail them up to where I'll want to run them with Tangent PS 4740s and 4750s. Again, they are great models for the level of detail they are intended to have - they are the first brand that I recommend to new modelers or parents of young kids who are interested in the hobby - but I see room in the market for both a "Tangent-quality" PS 4750 and an Accurail-quality" PS 4750. Since Accurail doesn't have a "rib side" covered hopper in their line, it's a great choice for them.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/12 23:08 by drolsen.

Date: 11/12/12 00:31
Author: funnelfan

At $17, I'll buy plenty of the Accurail cars. If they do a 90's era BN paint scheme, I'll buy 20 or more to help me build a unit train of the newer scheme.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/12 00:36 by funnelfan.

Date: 11/12/12 05:03
Author: iaisfan

drolsen Wrote:
> Since Accurail doesn't have a "rib side" covered hopper in their line, it's a great choice
> for them.

My only gripe is that, with both IM and Tangent already offering the P-S car, why not choose a distinctive 4750 that hasn't been done yet, such as an RTC? I know it'd offer fewer valid paint schemes, but hasn't Accurail shown a willingness to do foobies in the past?

An RTC-style car is a fairly major kitbash today, so detailing and Plano-izing an Accurail RTC 4750 model would be a feasible alternative, for me anyway. We're already going to have IM 4750s dropping substantially in price due to Tangent. So Accurail may find themselves competing with a similarly-priced RTR model that has etched walkways, air hoses, etc. If they're planning to retail at $17, I'm guessing the Accurail model won't have those features.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/12 07:21 by iaisfan.

Date: 11/12/12 07:16

iaisfan Wrote:
> drolsen Wrote:
> > Since Accurail doesn't have a "rib side" covered
> hopper in their line, it's a great choice
> > for them.
>
> My only gripe is that, with both IM and Tangent
> already offering the P-S car, why not choose a
> distinctive 4750 that hasn't been done yet, >
> Joe

Exactly, why triplicate a model? Only thing I can guess is that they didn't know Tangent was going to do that model, thus already duplicating an existing covered hopper.

As for $17 a model, I think the Intermountain looks pretty good for only a few dollars more. This just seems to be a redundant model - I realize they are trying to fill a price gap, but the difference isn't all that big considering IMR have been out for a long time at fairly modest prices - I can find them usually for around $20 to $25.

I agree, Accurail fill a need in the hobby for decent quality kits and modestly price HO freight cars; I like them and have a bunch of the CF4600 and a few others such as the Autoracks etc.

Date: 11/12/12 13:41
Author: NSTopHat

Couple this with the Athearn PS 4740 and the Atlas Trainman Thrall 4750 and you'll have a nice in-expensive grain train. Personally, though I am happy with my fleet of NS & predecessor IM 4750's, I am not looking forward to potentially upgrading to Tangent's.

Like the F7, it's good to have another manufacturer in the ring on this model.

NSTopHat

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0709 seconds