Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Model Railroading > Boxcars in Potash service

Date: 03/13/13 20:41
Boxcars in Potash service
Author: reddogsix

Good day!

Found a photo of a boxcar series used in potash service.

Looking to model this version.

Any hints on how to coat the boxcar in the white dust like the photo attached?

I used blackboard chalk a long time ago and when I sprayed the dullcoat on it all clumped up.

Thanks
Andrew
Sn42 CN Newfoundland

Date: 03/14/13 05:49
Re: Boxcars in Potash service
Author: rnb3

I would start by spraying Testors Dulcoat. After a couple days of drying time, brush some 91% isopropyl alcohol on the model. The alcohol will cause the Dulcoat to "blush" leaving a white chalky look. If you don't like it, just shoot another coat of Dulcoat and it will go away.

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 03/14/13 06:25
Author: NSTopHat

I would coat the car with Johnson Wax's 'Future'. Apply white gouche (artists acrylic available from Michaels, etc.) let it get ~75% dry and with a soft bristled curved cut brush dampened with 70% isoproyl alcohol or windex, and lightly drag the gouche across the car until satisfied.

Russ

Date: 03/14/13 09:58
Author: ATSF3751

NSTopHat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would coat the car with Johnson Wax's 'Future'.
> Apply white gouche (artists acrylic available from
> Michaels, etc.) let it get ~75% dry and with a
> soft bristled curved cut brush dampened with 70%
> isoproyl alcohol or windex, and lightly drag the
> gouche across the car until satisfied.
>
> Russ

Never thought of this process. Part weathering, part chemistry experiment.

Date: 03/14/13 13:50
Author: Jimmies

I would go with Rick's suggestion of dullcote and alcohol first. If you don't like it, another layer of dullcote will take the white appearance away, and you can try one of the other methods. A second layer of dullcote won't hurt anyway on a new model. And look closely at the door tracks in your picture, both top and bottom. There's just a very light layer of rust there that you could replicate by dry brushing with just a tiny bit of burnt umber, as well along the bottom sill above the wheels at the left hand end of the car in your picture. We'd like to see your model when you're done.

Jim

Date: 03/14/13 22:02
Author: reddogsix

Thanks!

Will give it a shot.

Andrew

Date: 03/17/13 10:56
Author: rbx551985

Excellent. They used to ship a lot of potash in these same CN 40-ft. boxcars cars to West Point, Va. -- but that fertilizer plant was removed about 15 years ago, and now there's a large grain loading facility on the same spot.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0329 seconds