Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Model Railroading > Self-guarded frog

Date: 04/02/13 19:45
Self-guarded frog
Author: KeyRouteKen

Hi Everybody-- Have any of you folks ever heard of a "Self-guarded frog" that does NOT have "guard rails"..
Here is what my friend Dick Symmes has to say about them...

"You don't see many of these on live steam tracks or on real full size railroads. This is a self guarding frog. Because of its design, there is no need for guard rails. Note, there are no guard rails on this switch."

KRK

Date: 04/02/13 20:00
Re: Self-guarded frog
Author: sp5312

There are many of this type of frog on branch lines, industry tracks and small yards all over the country.

Date: 04/02/13 20:07
Author: imrl

Just about the only place you won't see self guarded frogs are on the main line unless its a very low density line.

Date: 04/02/13 20:16
Feeling Froggy
Author: DrLoco

There are more self guarding frogs where I work then not.

I'm attaching a few photos from the yard I work at. in both shots, the engines are standing in about the same place.The first shot is looking up the lead from in the cab. I took it for the purposes of recording a banner test (not the point here--Was working with the RFE on proper "Simulated Obstruction Device" placement) but it shows all the switches on the lead I work on...which are all self guarding.

also, behind the engines, there is a 90pound frog that is made by bending the actual rail into shape--not a drop in (cast) frog...and it's the only one I have ever seen that emulates the model railroad frog we all create when we handlay track. See? there is a prototype for everything.
Now, this old frog was made with rail dating 1909 Carnegie. In the yard, we have track we still use that has 80# rail rolled in 1898 and 1903 by Carnegie. I would say the railroad got their money out of it.
Pardon the horrid condition of our yard--This is CSX. We have to "carefully rationalize our fixed assets in relation to our shareholder value." Which means that we don't fix anything unless it's beyond broken or we derail something on the tracks. Yes, we know the bolt is out of the frog. it has been reported...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/13 20:19 by DrLoco.

Date: 04/02/13 20:16
Author: AfroRon

The class one I work for uses them almost exclusively in yards even major ones. As mentioned earlier the only place you really don't see them is on mainline track.

>
> "You don't see many of these on live steam
> tracks or on real full size railroads.

Date: 04/02/13 20:33
Author: Frisco1522

You want to have fun? Run over a self guarded frog with a Russian Decapod.

Date: 04/02/13 20:51
Author: engine3420

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You want to have fun? Run over a self guarded
> frog with a Russian Decapod.

Better wear a seat belt.

Date: 04/02/13 21:17
Author: Kemacprr

Frisco1522 Wrote:
> You want to have fun? Run over a self guarded
> frog with a Russian Decapod.

Running over one in a hi rail is just about as much fun. ---- Ken

Date: 04/02/13 22:12
Author: Westbound

Here's such a frog. I posted this in 2004. This is about 1/4 mile south of the Niles SP / WP crossing in California. I was pretty surprised when I discovered this frog on the mainline at the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/13 22:13 by Westbound.

Date: 04/02/13 23:25
Author: faraway

I see the difference but I admit I do not fully understand what makes this kind of frog save without guardrails. Could you provide a little explanation please?

Date: 04/02/13 23:32
Author: pdt

These were common on the Ex-erie line in north jersey. Seems like they used what ever was available in a lot of places.

Date: 04/03/13 04:41
Author: VunderBob

I would expect that the only place you'd find them in the model world is on a fine scaler's layout. Wheel tread widths have too much variance to make a self guarded frog practical for the people that use general production trucks/wheels.

Date: 04/03/13 08:17
Author: VunderBob

faraway Wrote:
> I see the difference but I admit I do not fully
> understand what makes this kind of frog save
> without guardrails. Could you provide a little
> explanation please?

The vertical projections serve the function of the guard rails by pushing the wheel away from the point of the frog. Guard rails do the same function by pulling the opposite wheel away.

Date: 04/03/13 11:08
Re: Feeling Froggy
Author: retcsxcfm

Pure "QUALITY IN MOTION" What a joke!

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 04/03/13 16:34
Author: Out_Of_Service

faraway Wrote:
> I see the difference but I admit I do not fully
> understand what makes this kind of frog save
> without guardrails. Could you provide a little
> explanation please?

one word x3: MONEY !!! MONEY !!! MONEY !!! ... no guardrails = less money

Date: 04/04/13 04:53
Author: RFandPFan

KeyRouteKen Wrote:
> Here is what my friend Dick Symmes has to say
> about them...
>
Many years ago I knew a Dick Symmes from Massachusetts...is this the same person?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0599 seconds