Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Model Railroading > NCE Programming question

Date: 10/18/13 06:45
NCE Programming question
Author: inCHI

I've got three engines w/sound I've tried to program on the Powercab system, and once I successfully add the loco address, I've lost the ability to edit sound volume.

For example: with an Intermountain ES44DC and a BLI C60AC (both most recent release) once I programmed in the long address, when I do press [program - program on main - enter cv - cv 128 - enter value - 30 - esc] The volume doesn't come back on. (CV 128 is master volume on the ES44DC). Any idea why that is?

With a Genesis MP15 with a Tsunami decoder, when I try to program the long address it says "Can not read CV."

Would it be best to start over with the programming?

Date: 10/18/13 08:27
Re: NCE Programming question
Author: thaddeusthudpucker

I would say yes, start over in programming. Then set the volume where you want it before programming the address.

Date: 10/18/13 08:28

thaddeusthudpucker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would say yes, start over in programming. Then
> set the volume where you want it before
> programming the address.

Would it still be editable afterward? I've enjoyed the ability to adjust the master volume CV on the fly, even while the train is moving.

Date: 10/18/13 10:17
Author: RioGrandeFan

A value of 30 for the master volume is pretty low. You may be setting CV 128 to a value that is too low to hear. Try a higher value (over 125 or even 150) and see what you get. Remember the default is 225.

For the MP15 (and any other locos): With NCE you don't need to use the program track to program an address. Just use the Program on the Main feature and select 1 for Address and just follow the prompts. NCE sets the address on the main in about 3 seconds this way. I've never had any issues with ANY locomotive. If you are starting from address 3, make sure you only have one loco with address 3 (the one you're programming) on the layout. Either that or pull the others off.

Programming on the main is not dangerous or bad if all of your locomotives have different addresses. The programming will only go to the address that you tell the system to program.

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/13 10:23 by RioGrandeFan.

Date: 10/18/13 16:11
Author: cf7

All of my Tsunami Master Volumes are set at 80.
Default is 255 which way too loud for my apartment.
But the very first thing I would suggest you do
before you program your engines is to clean the
wheels. You will be amazed at the crap you will
see come off them. Good luck.
Russ

Date: 10/18/13 18:21

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

These are all units I have been previously using, but without programming the long address. I tried an entry of 100 on sound, and mysteriously then it came on. I set it back to 10-30, which for me, in an apartment, is a reasonable volume. The first time that didn't work, so it's a real mystery to me why it did now. And it worked with all three. So, problem solved.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0818 seconds