Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Model Railroading > Through the weeds

Date: 01/31/14 12:18
Through the weeds
Author: inCHI

Making this video happen is a victory of sorts. This project had alot of points where I got stuck trying to figure out how to make something work - first, making a a static grass applicator and applying grass. Next problem was getting an engine to run smoothly over it - a Genesis MP15 has bad pickup, and an Intermountain ES44 does pretty well but it seemed like the 6-axle trucks weren't getting pickup on a few of the ridiculous kinks I put in the track. So I pulled out an Atlas B40-8 that I haven't run since I used DC, but had to switch it to DCC. Getting the shell off was a challenge... then I couldn't figure out how to program it. Finally I found that unlike any unit I've had, these engines were programmed from the factory with the last two digits of the road number. Running DCC, it gives the smooth performance to operate on this track. Victory!

This scene isn't complete, but since it finally works I wanted to show it. I'll still got more trackside details to add and paint - joint bars, switch machines, a derail, and hopefully some B&O CPL's.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/31/14 12:26
Re: Through the weeds

Two more pictures -

4.From the other end

5. How I made the grass in the track - I cut insulation foam strips (what I had on hand) to be higher than the 6mm grass height and then glued them to the rails temporarily. When I applied the grass, this kept it out of the flangeways. That said, there is still quite a bit of rolling resistance from the height. I actually have to increase the throttle to get through the thicker grass.

Date: 01/31/14 13:10
Author: P

Nice!

That grass looks great.

Date: 01/31/14 13:14
Author: retcsxcfm

WOW,looks greeeeeeat!

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 01/31/14 14:08
Author: unclebob

WOW. The grass is great, but the rocking of the engine is amazing!

I want to get a static grass applicator, and want to do the same for some lightly used spurs. My question has been, will the grass get picked up into the wheels/wipers/etc. and cause problems with the engine, even if you vacuum prior?

Thanks
Mike

Date: 01/31/14 14:15

unclebob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> I want to get a static grass applicator, and want
> to do the same for some lightly used spurs. My
> question has been, will the grass get picked up
> into the wheels/wipers/etc. and cause problems
> with the engine, even if you vacuum prior?
>
> Thanks
> Mike

So far the grass has proved surprisingly resilient. An engine has probably passed over it 15 times and it still stands straight up. Given that, I doubt it is coming off and getting onto the engine.

Date: 01/31/14 15:18
Author: SPED

That is great, I tried to model "uneven" track a few years ago and just could not get the results I wanted, I'll keep trying. Seems like we all try to make the track so perfect, you've done the opposite, this looks realistic!
Ed

Date: 01/31/14 20:32
Author: atsf121

Love the bouncing of the engine in the video. Makes me think of watching the SP bounce, weave, and rock along the Vallejo Branch as it ran behind the stadium at Vallejo High School. I always made it to the top of the bleachers to watch the train go by, instead of watching the track meet I was participating in.

Nathan

Date: 01/31/14 21:45
Author: PHall

Trackage like that requires the "proper" motive power.
Proper being something like an Alco S-2 or S-4!

Date: 01/31/14 23:13
Author: zgardner18

Awesome!

Zak Gardner / Glendora, CA.

Date: 02/01/14 04:55
Author: iaisfan

unclebob Wrote:
> My question has been, will the grass get picked up into the wheels/wipers/etc. and cause problems with the engine, even if you
> vacuum prior?

I often vacuum my static grass right after putting it down in order to get it all to stand up straight (especially important on hills), and I'm shocked at how well it adheres even 30-60 seconds after application. And this is with a 1.5gal Shop Vac that's strong enough to (unintentionally) suck up HO scale vehicles from a few inches away.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 02/01/14 07:42
Author: Atsf814

Great work and video. Thanks for sharing!

Date: 02/01/14 13:10
Author: 70ACE

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Trackage like that requires the "proper" motive
> power.
> Proper being something like an Alco S-2 or S-4!

Very true, but would you get the desired rocking motion that the author got with the larger 40-8?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.06 seconds