Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Model Railroading > JRMI & Tsunami decoders

Date: 02/22/14 20:55
JRMI & Tsunami decoders
Author: ajgreen

Hi all. I've got a slight technical issue with programming my various Tsunami (sound) equipped locos (Genisis and Intermountain). I've recently changed my setup over to a Digitrax Super Chief, running a DCS100. Coupled to this is a Digitrax PR3 (USB interface) and my laptop running JRMI software with a dedicated programing track.

With a Tsunami decoder equipped loco on the program track, and in the JRMI software I open up the Roster, and add a new loco. First it asks for the decoder type, and when you select "soundup" (the one for Tsunami decoders) a list of model manufactures comes up together with a list of loco models. Clicking on the correct one (say in this example Athearn Genisis SD70ACe) it then takes you into a program screen. It's here where things just don't happen. I cannot read, nor write any CV values. Now it's time to mention that any of my other locos work fine (Athearn/Kato etc using TCS decoders) using the similar method through the JRMI software.

I wonder it something is wrong with the program track as I cannot program these Tsunami decoders using the Digitrax DT402D throttle (on PG mode) on the program track either. But in saying this, if the problem was with the program track, my other locos wouldn't get programmed using the program track (which works okay for them).

I can however program on the main using the Digitrax DT402D throttle which is fine, but i'd prefer to use the JRMI software.

Anyone else have any problems? Or have any solutions to this issue?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Allister

Blenheim
New Zealand.

Date: 02/22/14 21:30
Re: JRMI & Tsunami decoders
Author: RioGrandeFan

For SoundTraxx Tsunami (and QSI) sound decoders you need a program track booster between your DCC system's program track outputs and the program track. The reason why is the capacitors on certain sound decoders absorb the pulses from the DCC system and therefore the programming information doesn't make it through. The program track booster pre-fills the capacitors so that the programming information gets through.

You can use either the SoundTraxx PTB-100 or the DCC Specialties PowerPax. The PTB-100 is powered from your DCC system power supply, the PowerPax is powered via it's own wall transformer.

SoundTraxx PTB-100 information:
http://www.soundtraxx.com/access/ptb100.php

DCC Specialties PowerPax information:
http://www.dccspecialties.com/products/powerpax.htm

I have used both of these and they both work. I can't really say either is better than the other. They both accomplish the needed task.

One note...you cannot have either of these program track boosters in-line when you want to program a non-sound decoder so you should consider installing a switch to either use it or not use it depending on what decoder type (sound or non-sound) that you are programming.

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

P.S. ESU LokSound decoders do not require the program track booster and are every bit as good as (if not better than) the other sound decoders on the market.

Date: 02/23/14 03:01
Author: jobrazy

Agreed. I have a PTB-100 with my PR-3, it works great. BLI has the same issue, I was told it was because of the capacitor charging circuitry that they employ. Apparently it sucks up power differently than some others.

Joel Brazy
Coatesville, PA

Date: 02/23/14 09:24
Author: bigmc83

I dont use a booster with my PR3 and run the input voltage at ~16 volts. Using just track power may not be enough
-Sean

Posted from Android

Date: 02/23/14 11:51
Author: thaddeusthudpucker

It is not simply a function of voltage, but amperage as well. Imagine trying to run something on 1 AA battery when it requires 8. You can still get 1.5 volts if you wire the batteries parallel, but they have more power than 1 battery

Date: 02/23/14 19:06
Author: SOU3921

I have the PR3Xtra on a dedicated track connected to my laptop, when I am programming non-Soundtrax units, I use the 14V power supply that came with the PR3Xtra, when I program Soundtrax units, I swap the regular 14V power cord, with the laptops 19V and it works great. No need for a PTB-100 or any other extras.

Date: 02/26/14 22:07
Author: gnguy

I had the same Digitrax setup with the PR3 that you have on my club layout. Nothing but problems. I finally gave up and cut the PR3 out and installed a SPROG II interface to JMRI and Everything perfect from there on. Best $100 we've ever spent.
Mike Stewart
Oakley, cA

Date: 02/27/14 18:02
Author: wfre

Lee (RioGrande fan) - in your post you wrote:

>
> One note...you cannot have either of these program
> track boosters in-line when you want to program a
> non-sound decoder so you should consider
> installing a switch to either use it or not use it
> depending on what decoder type (sound or
> non-sound) that you are programming.

First I hear of this. My home setup has a PTB-100 in line permanently - but I have been having issues programming TCS (non-sound)decoders - need to repeat 2 or 3 times for things to "take".

Please say more - our club setup also has the PTB-100 in-line - which I need to reconfigure if you are correct.

Walt in Sausalito

Date: 02/27/14 18:12
Author: thaddeusthudpucker

That's the thing, a SPROG has more current to the rails than a PR3 does.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.06 seconds