Home Open Account Help 215 users online

Model Railroading > DCC manual headlight control

Date: 02/22/14 22:40
DCC manual headlight control
Author: fbe

I think this is how I want my diesel headlights to work especially since consisted power is the norm. I have found there are CV values to change to allow this but I wonder if there is a common function key to move the rear headlight to. Is it the same for nonsound and sound decoders?

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 02/22/14 23:24
Re: DCC manual headlight control
Author: funnelfan

This is why I'm removing the rear headlights from road power and setting up "rule 17 lighting" (dim in reverse). As long as the rear unit is face rearward, you can run the headlight on and it will come one when the train reverses (front will dim). Some DCC systems support consist values, but digitrax sure doesn't.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 02/23/14 04:10
Author: MrMRL

Alan here's what I do...

(straight from page 51-52 of the Digitrax Decoder Manual)
http://www.digitrax.com/static/apps/cms/media/documents/documentation/decodermanual.pdf

Change the following 14 CVs...

CV33 = 001 / CV37 = 002 / CV41 = 002 / CV45 = 064
CV34 = 001 / CV38 = 004 / CV42 = 001 / CV46 = 128
CV35 = 004 / CV39 = 024 / CV43 = 016
CV36 = 008 / CV40 = 000 / CV44 = 032

What all this does? Well, for non-sound Digitrax decoders it essentially unlocks all your lighting function outputs so they become non-directional and independently controlled (just like the real thing). For example, your forward headlight "white wire" will now operate on F0, ditchlights "green wire" on F1, rear headlight "yellow wire" on F3, and any additional lighting functions "violet wire" (strobes/beacon,etc.) on F2. All functions will stay on in either direction as long as you have the function selected.

On top of these CV changes you can still program your extra lighting effects such as gyra or marslight, or flasher beacon, etc...

I've lost track of how many locomotives I've done this adjustment to. I hated watching my forward lights turn off and the rear ones turn on when I changed directions. Now it's completely at my discretion.

(typical scenario...)
Have a consist of say three units ready for the head end of an outbound train. Light power from the service tracks to the cut with just the headlights lit on the front and rear units. Come up against your train, turn off that rear light. Depart the yard, hit the ditchlights for the lead unit. Hours later arrive at the next terminal, turn off your ditchlights, yard your train. Cut off the power, turn on that rear headlight again. Oh by you have to run down the main back to the servicing tracks. Easy, kill the ditchlights on the leader, turn them on for the rear unit' lead run back down the main.

All this can very easily be accomplished by adjusting those 14 CVs mentioned above. All the while not having to worry about any extra headlights automatically turning on or off whenever you change directions. The lights you turn on will always stay on until you turn them off. This manual on and off style of headlight control can seem tedious to some modelers who don't have real world experience with flipping all those headlight switches on a real locomotive. I personally prefer it, because it emulates what I experience in the real world environment.

Mr. MRL

Date: 02/23/14 07:37
Author: pmack

I set mine up so F0 is headlight, F1 ditch lights, F3 rear light, F4 dims headlight andF8 dims rear light. I'm using NCE decoders and Digitrax. I'm curious, Robbie, do you have to select the rear consisted loco to adjust the lights or does your DCC system know which loco's light is the headlight and which is the rear light?

Date: 02/23/14 08:05

Thanks, Ted. Direct and dirty but it should work.

Date: 02/23/14 08:29

Robby, I think this is what I am looking for but so much work. It is like doing a registry edit on a computer. I am sure there is a pattern in how these CVs are interconnected but I have not seen a live or internet clinic on the boolean logic of decoders yet. Perhaps someone needs to write that up.

I agree, dump the headlight automation and let me do it the prototype way. I was dreaming last night about building a box to interface with a controller. The box would have about 6 slots on it for individual locomotives and each would have a headlight set up switch with single or intermediate, short hood lead, trailing unit at long hood end, etc. Below that would be the switches for front and rear headlights with off, dim, medium and bright. (Some trainmasters are in the dim or off position most of the time, it seems.) I think that project is doa.

So can you do this with Tsunamis as well? I have a pair of P2K MILW U28B sound units on hand to start with. I will add a rotary beacon but I wonder how I need to set this up. F1 is what I normally use for the bell using the green wire. With sound F1 is the bell. I have not lifted the shell off the unit to see if the green wire is free to make a connection or if I will have to strip off the heat shrink and make a hardwire connection to F5 or F6.

My old head hurts again, must be time for breakfast. Maybe a spot of Baileys in my hot tea. Snow shoveling will be the order of the day it seems.

Date: 02/23/14 08:38

Pmack,

With the digitrax 400, 402 series throttles you have two throttle knobs. It seems common the consist control is the right knob. The left knob generally has the last unit you added to the consist and with a bit of planning that is commonly the trailing locomotive.

You can no longer control the throttle of the trailing locomotives in consist with the left knob but if your trailing unit is still set on the left knob you can change the F values and turn off headlights and auxiliary lights. I have not tried bells and horn on the last unit during back up moves because I have not thought about it and don't have a wide selection of sound units yet.

Date: 02/23/14 10:35
Re: number board lights

Yes, the numberboard lights on the Proto units are lit and can be turned on and off.

The LED headlights are very bright but can be dimmed with one of the function buttons.

Date: 02/25/14 23:20
Author: pmack

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pmack,
>
> With the digitrax 400, 402 series throttles you
> have two throttle knobs. It seems common the
> consist control is the right knob. The left knob
> generally has the last unit you added to the
> consist and with a bit of planning that is
> commonly the trailing locomotive.
>
> You can no longer control the throttle of the
> trailing locomotives in consist with the left knob
> but if your trailing unit is still set on the left
> knob you can change the F values and turn off
> headlights and auxiliary lights. I have not tried
> bells and horn on the last unit during back up
> moves because I have not thought about it and
> don't have a wide selection of sound units yet.
>
> Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

That is what I've been doing except I have a DT100. I've had to replace a few parts but it still works. I just got a Genesis SD60M with Soundtraxx. In the directions it talks about CV 19, 21 and 22. That is where you program a consist address and set up what functions the consist controls leaving the rest to be turned on and off with the individual loco's address. That is what I wanted to do. I've just read about it but haven't tried it yet.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1723 seconds