Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Model Railroading > packing up a layout

Date: 04/18/14 18:35
packing up a layout
Author: shadetree

Progress happens. I am forced to move my layout. It's a 30 x 30. Please offer some advice.

Eng.Shadetree

Posted from Android

Date: 04/18/14 19:20
Re: packing up a layout
Author: funnelfan

Details on the construction of the layout, photos could help a lot.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 04/18/14 20:22
Author: IronDuke

What ever you do, don't tick off your friends.
You're gonna need all the help you can get.
so sayeth the voice of experience The Ironduke

Date: 04/18/14 20:35
Author: nicknack

Go to a decent craft store and get a big roll of soft crepe paper to wrap equipment in, at least the first layer, then backfill items with newspaper, but you don't want the newsprint ink rubbing off on any cars. Find a nice quiet place to store the boxes that won't get disturbed or crushed.

Get a good sharpie and label ever box, at least two sides so you know where you put things! I've been in this house three years and still can't find one engine!

If you have to pull up track that is nailed in, get a good pair of pliers to nab the heads. If it's glued on, get a putty scraper to slide underneath.

If it's nailed, glued, and ballasted, well buddy, I think you need another beer.

Structures can be nested and pried off a layout.

Wire is in my opinion more pain than it is worth it to re-collect if you have to scrap the frame. Think about all the ways you'd do it better next time!

If you want to keep the whole layout, think about how to chunk it into parts that will fit through an average door, hallway, stairwell, and whatever vehicle you will rent / use.

Every time you stub your finger, remember, Model Railroading is Fun!

Date: 04/18/14 21:53
Author: TCnR

Try not to Sawz-all into the drywall. Just never matches the rest of the room.

Date: 04/19/14 08:28
Author: PHall

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try not to Sawz-all into the drywall. Just never
> matches the rest of the room.

Actually it will match the rest of the room, once you open the wallet and have a pro do the job!

Date: 04/19/14 08:48
Author: TCnR

Should have also said I would try to keep an engine facility or a yard ladder intact, that's a lot of work that may be a good keep sake or a good start on the next Layout. I've tried to build a few generic long 8 ft sections that can be removed and added to the next project. That's where the idea of cutting the screws off the wall and move on was from.

Date: 04/19/14 19:04
Author: cf7

IronDuke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What ever you do, don't tick off your friends.
> You're gonna need all the help you can get.
> so sayeth the voice of experience The Ironduke

Especially if you live in Ft. Wayne!!!

Date: 04/22/14 06:50
Author: Frank30

I did this 3+ years back. Be sure wires are marked carefully on each side of cut. I used masking tape, assuming the move back into new house would take no time at all. Well, 3+ years later it's still in storage, and some of the masking tape may have fallen off, or will blow off when it's lugged back home tied down to the sides of utility trailer. In order to fit through doors, tipped on its side you may have to creatively decrease the width with some cutting. Keep good records on the order in which it is being dismantled so you can reverse the procedure to reassemble, and keep a copy of these records in a few locations in case you forgot where you put them. Used casters to roll onside to driveway, will need some wheelbarrow type rubber tires to roll down a grass hill when it finally come home. I feel this sure beats starting from scratch unless you've got unlimited energy to do that. The
layout was not complete, nor much scenery when it came time to move...that helps a lot! Good luck with your move.

Frank30

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds