Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Model Railroading > Precast concrete spans and H-piles

Date: 08/18/14 15:39
Precast concrete spans and H-piles
Author: NDHolmes

Does anyone happen to have dimensions (or preferably, engineering drawings) of the ~30 foot precast concrete spans and steel H-piling supports that are frequently used for wooden trestle replacement? My prototype had miles and miles of endless wooden trestles, but my layout is a proto-freelanced modern day version. I can't imagine that most of said wooden trestles would have survived in service, so I'm starting to think about what would have replaced them and how to manufacture the quantity I'm going to need. I've searched around, but I can't find any drawings that give a general idea of the span profile and dimensions, as well as the size of the H-pilings being used. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nathan

Date: 08/18/14 15:52
Re: Precast concrete spans and H-piles
Author: nikon1

I would google Scale Segmental Bridge Co to see if you can find the items you need.
Charlie
MP 53 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Date: 08/18/14 17:27
Author: NSDTK

Kind a off topic for the thread but those can be used as flat car loads too

Date: 08/20/14 08:40
Author: railstiesballast

From a Metrolink standards book (similar to what the):
14" x 14" H piles for the vertical members, three per bent for 30-foot spans.
The caps are 2' x 2' cross section and 16'-11" long over the end risers. End risers are lateral earthquake restraints that were added to the design in the 1990s. (Older bridges have plain 2x2 caps without end restraints.)
The sway bracing is about 4" x 4" angle
The box girders can be 28, 30, or 33 feet long (nominal size, they are about 2" shorter to accommodate some curve) and there are two per span, each 7'-0 1/2" wide
One side of each girder has a ballast guard that is 1'-6" high and 6" wide.
Sidewalks are open grating, 2'-9" wide, supported by brackets at 5'. (Older SP bridges had concrete walkways.)
Not all RRs used walkways, it is good design for safe work by MofW and transportation employees but it cost more money.

Date: 08/20/14 08:54
Author: NDHolmes

RTB - thanks much! That's exactly the sort of things I needed. I finally found a drawing that'll give me the cross-sectional profile, but didn't have any real dimensions associated with it. With your numbers, I should be able to get where I need.

The BLMA ones are very nice, but unfortunately I'm going to need about 15-18 feet of these things. Any solution beside "cast my own" is pretty much out on price.

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0427 seconds