Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Model Railroading > WTB: Overland Brass SP Jordan Spreader

Date: 09/25/14 12:18
WTB: Overland Brass SP Jordan Spreader
Author: DR

Hi all,
My buddy let me look at and play with an SP Jordan Spreader on his layout. Needless to say i've fallen in love and looking to acquire one of my own. I believe he said it was an Overland model. I can't find one online but hoping someone may have one or know where one may be for sale.
Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/14 12:37 by DR.

Date: 09/25/14 12:28
Re: WTB: Overland Brass SP Snowdozer
Author: RAS

Overland did indeed do them about 10 years ago or so. I have one. Nice models for what they are; they sold for about 400 when new. No idea what they'd sell for now, but eBay is most likely your best option to find one.

Rick Selby
Redmond, WA
Pacific Northwest RPM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/14 12:28 by RAS.

Date: 09/25/14 13:27
Author: TheCurator

These are indeed very nice models.

Sorry, it isn't SP :)

Date: 09/25/14 14:28
Author: TCnR

TheCurator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These are indeed very nice models.
>
> Sorry, it isn't SP :)

Right, that's the BN SnoDozer which is an entirely different beast and very sought after as well.

I lucked into an SP Jordan Spreader, hoping for similar luck with a BN SnoDozer. There was also another Jordan Spreader on the brass market, not sure whihc prototype it was, either ATSF or UPRR. The SP version differs in the nose plow and an additional crew compartment behind the cab.

Can only suggest keep checking out the Brass Lists, if you're not looking in at least five lists you need to keep looking for more lists. There's also a 'Center Cab' version which is significantly different than the modern 'forward cab' versions.

The most complete Jordan spreader site I've seen:
http://www.trainweb.org/JordanSpreader/

Date: 09/26/14 09:55
Author: Red_over_Yellow

There were two runs of the orange SP spreader done by Overland and a single run of the same spreader painted in daylight colors to represent the spreader assigned to the Cascades. Keep an eye on Brasstrains.com and ebay. They come up occasionally. The last SP version on Ebay was about 6-8 weeks ago and sold for just under $600. If you are interested in other SP snow fighting equipment Albrae just imported a very nice Chinese made brass model of the SP 70's - 90's era steel flanger also painted in the Orange MoW colors. I know the Trainshop in Santa Clara, Ca. had them as of last week. I think you can also get them direct from Albrae. - good luck

Date: 09/26/14 10:01

For clarity, GN then BN then BNSF had the 'SnoDozer', which were home built (or maybe contracted out).

The SP always used modified Jordan Spreaders, which was pretty much a commercially offered piece of equipment and somewhat common across RR's.

The thread title is kinda morphed.

Date: 09/26/14 10:31
Author: sixaxlecentury

The Overland SP Spreaders are nice, and for most people would be fine, but they have numerous issues if one would want a proper, SP Jordan Spreader. Overland recycled numerous parts on the "Type J" (Hydraulic Spreader) from there Type A (Penumatic) model.

Date: 09/26/14 11:39

Technically, the SP spreader in the photo also shows the 'ditcher' wing, not the straight wing that is one specific Donner Pass spreaders, SPMW 4034. The straight wing doesn't have the extension at the end either, sometimes refereed to as a 'broken wing', SPMW 4030. Donner Pass had one of each type of blade, Oakridge had SPMW 4033 with the profiled Ditcher blade.

It was explained to us on the Western Board that the first of the three modern Spreaders arrived as a traditional 1950's style Spreader with the ditcher profiled blade and extension, not sure what the front plow looked like though. Eventually they modified it into what we know as the SP Spreader, including moving a Throttle and Brake stand into the forward cab.

My PBase site gets an amazing number of hits for the Truckee Spreaders, I have a few more photos that I should add:
http://www.pbase.com/clivew/sp_snow_equipment

Date: 09/26/14 15:50
Author: bxmoore

You could always kitbash/scratchbuild your own from the Walthers model.

Brian

Date: 09/26/14 22:56
Author: Splitrock323

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The thread title is kinda morphed.

I don't care that the thread morphed, just please keep posting pictures of these great MOW equipment

Thomas G

Date: 09/27/14 13:34
Author: TheCurator

I'm pretty sure it started as '...Sno Dozer,,,' but yes, who cares. Keep posting more.

Date: 09/28/14 08:47
Author: dmaffei

Albrae did a nice job on the flangers.(Thanks Rob) As red over yellow mentioned the OMI spreaders do come up on EBay, but are going for 600 or so. I would recommend getting the flanger first as they are available. Good hunting.

http://www.albraemodels.com/company/AMpress.htm

Date: 09/29/14 13:54
Re: WTB: Overland Brass SP Jordan Spreader
Author: cmgnnut

Dang my spreader is the high blade one like the black pictured one can this be changed to the SP type ? And who can do it ?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0671 seconds