Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Model Railroading > UP Baggage Dorm 6010 (COSF 1941)

Date: 10/30/14 20:45
UP Baggage Dorm 6010 (COSF 1941)
Author: unionpac

I have the subject Coach Yard car and I want to modernize it. It started life on the COSF 1941 train. I know that UP retained the car and numbered it 6010. If I want to run it in the mid 1960s are the skirts removed? This model has the under frame components in a large contained area. Was that removed? I was thinking about buying one to the CNW Walthers Baggage Dorms and using the under frame and trucks from it on this car. Walthers is selling them for under $40 now. Thanks in advance, Dana

Date: 10/31/14 11:09
Re: UP Baggage Dorm 6010 (COSF 1941)
Author: nikon1

I will refer to Kratville's book on UP Streamliners. I have the book laying around but unable to get to it right know
Charlie
MP 52.7 on the BNSF Topeka Sub

Date: 10/31/14 12:07

Thanks...I have that book and the only thing in there is a drawing. Dana

Date: 10/31/14 12:48
Author: ATSF3751

unionpac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the subject Coach Yard car and I want to
> modernize it. It started life on the COSF 1941
> train. I know that UP retained the car and
> numbered it 6010. If I want to run it in the mid
> 1960s are the skirts removed? This model has the
> under frame components in a large contained area.
> Was that removed? I was thinking about buying one
> to the CNW Walthers Baggage Dorms and using the
> under frame and trucks from it on this car.
> Walthers is selling them for under $40 now. Thanks
> in advance, Dana

It would follow that UP would have removed the underbody skirting and contained area box in order to standardize with more modern equipment.(Post war car diagrams confirm this) They did this with many of the coaches from the era as well, updating them and removing that (weird) box thingy. Battery boxes would have been relocated to the standard post war positions away from the underframe just beneath the sides. On the pre-war version, these boxes were inside the "box" and next to the centerframe. More weird. I think the Walther's underbody would work just fine. You may need to shim it a little to match height with other cars. The Walther's trucks are incorrect as these cars managed to retain the pre-war ones. I think the trucks Walther's used under the NYC 20th Century postal car are a reasonable match.

Coach Yard did an updates version of a similar pre-war car. Here is a photo:

http://www.brasstrains.com/classic/Product/Detail/035577/HO-TCY-Coach-Yard-UP-Union-Pacific-COSF-Baggage-Dorm-5601-5602-5613

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/14 14:26 by ATSF3751.

Date: 10/31/14 16:26

Thanks. That is what I was thinking...Remove the skirts and add the Walther's under frame and trucks from the CNW baggage Dorm. Close enough for need. I will keep the original under frame for future sales options. Dana

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0445 seconds