Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Model Railroading > O scale detailing project

Date: 11/18/14 14:59
O scale detailing project
Author: rnb3

My modeling efforts are nearly entirely in O scale 2 rail these days. This is like building models back in the 80's O scale doesn't have all of the stuff available in HO. Very few detail parts, and very limited varieties of models. But not all is lost! A lot of 3 rail stuff (Lionel, MTH, K-Line, etc) can be up-graded and detailed. Here is where the fun is for me! If I want a detailed model, I'll have to convert, upgrade, and build it!

My latest project has been "scaling" out a MTH 3 rail crane. I have converted it to 2 rail, powered it, added R/C DCC control, and have done a full "old school" detailing! I'm getting close to completing this, and am getting excited!

I believe I've posted here about this before. If not, or anybody is interested, the entire project can be seen here:

http://www.aorailroad.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=206

This is my friend's website for his layout. It is a 2 rail O scale layout that is under construction.

Here are a couple teaser pictures:

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 11/18/14 15:11
Re: O scale detailing project
Author: LarryDoyle

I Like!

Looks like the outriggers work, and very nice weathering on the gon.

We need to see more O scale on here.

Date: 11/18/14 18:39
Author: rnb3

LarryDoyle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I Like!
>
> Looks like the outriggers work, and very nice
> weathering on the gon.
>
> We need to see more O scale on here.

Larry, thanks! The outriggers can be extended, but they are only for show (if I ever were to pose the crane for a "track side" photo, I could have the outriggers propped up on blocking). The crane itself is self propelled but the boom isn't powered. I didn't think there was enough play value for the effort! The boom and cab can free rotate to help the combined crane and tender negotiate curves and turn outs. It does have sound though, and will be finished with lights.

As for O scale on TO... I'm trying!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 11/18/14 20:20
Author: bnsfbuff

Wow! Really nice. Can't wait to see the finished product.

John Parker
Longmont, CO
BNSF Fall River Division

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0681 seconds