Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Model Railroading > "O" Scale Relic

Date: 11/21/14 07:33
"O" Scale Relic
Author: LarryDoyle

Harking back to my logging railroad built in the late '60's is this consolidation. It is a Pierce Tool Co. kit that was built in 1950 by Glen Streeter, and is still in my collection. It weighs in at about 8 lbs on drivers, and can pull 'most anything you can find to put behind it.

-John

Date: 11/21/14 07:41
Re: "O" Scale Relic
Author: Frisco1522

Looks pretty darned good, even by today's standards!

Date: 11/21/14 07:50

Another fossil. I scratchbuilt a fleet of these - this one has a build date of 4-64.

-John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/14 11:53 by LarryDoyle.

Date: 11/21/14 08:03

And this caboose was also scratchbuilt.

Besides my home layout (no surviving pictures) I also took my stuff over to Twin City Model Railroad Club for operating sessions. The club had a penchant for rear-end collisions, and in such incidents as a caboose getting hit from behind by a 10+ lbs locomotive the caboose was usually the looseer. So, I built this one with a solid brass 1/8" plate in the floor. Those truss rods were soldered in place with a Bersn-O-Matic propane torch!

I never lost a caboose.

-John

Date: 11/21/14 08:11

The final fossil of this series. A Kemtron Wabash Mogul kit I put together about 1962.

-John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/14 08:11 by LarryDoyle.

Date: 11/21/14 09:53
Author: rnb3

Very nice! Beautiful models that are a testament to a craftsman! And they have stood the test of time!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Date: 11/21/14 12:48
Author: rschonfelder

That is really neat to say you built something in 1964 and still be able to use it. What sort of maintenance did you have to do to some of the mechanisms over the years?

Rick

Date: 11/21/14 12:59

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is really neat to say you built something in
> 1964 and still be able to use it. What sort of
> maintenance did you have to do to some of the
> mechanisms over the years?
>
> Rick

Nothing. This is "O" gauge! A little Lubriplate grease on the worm & gear, and LaBelle on open frame motor bearings, trucks, and valve gear.

Though, the 26's bull gear has developed some backlash. At 71, I'm not about to build myself a new wheel press to replace it. Leave that for the next owner.

-John

Date: 11/21/14 19:53
Author: warrenpweiss

Wonderful collection! That Kemtron loco is such a classic.

Warren

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0528 seconds