Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Model Railroading > Sprog 3

Date: 12/15/14 09:58
Sprog 3
Author: nls

Hello all,

I've been researching using the Sprog 3 DCC system on my as-yet-unbuilt small to medium sized layout. Does anyone have any experience with the Sprog system? Pros and cons?

Thanks,
NLS

Posted from Android

Date: 12/15/14 11:22
Re: Sprog 3
Author: Andre

Yes, I use one to do all of my programing, love it.

Andre

Date: 12/15/14 20:40
Author: barrydraper

The SPROG 3 works great, but it requires you to provide a computer running JMRI. JMRI is free of course, and you may have a computer available, almost any will work. But you can only run trains from the computer unless you also have a WiFi router and use an ap on a smart phone. It is the least expensive way to get into DCC, as long as you don't expect a throttle with a knob.

Barry Draper

Date: 12/16/14 05:57
Author: nls

So it is equipped to handle everything on a medium sized layout? Does it work from tablets and phones? I've read some about the computer interface, it does sound interesting.

Thanks

Posted from Android

Date: 12/19/14 15:26
Author: UPWPFan

NLS

As the previous posts indicate you can run a small to medium layout with a SPROG I I I. Or the original SPROG I I .
You can obtain boosters for it so you can segment your layout into blocks. The boosters can be used as reversers for loops as well. Check out the SPROG website.
Bill Chown is the US distributor / manufacturer for the product line. He also lists local vendors. Some will do an install on you computer and get you up and operating. To use a a remote throttle you need to configure JMRI (and your smart phone) to be able to link via WIFI. I have been told but cannot verify that JMRI has only 16 slots in it for use as command station. This limits you to only 16 engines on the layout.

Regards

Jere Ingram

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0285 seconds