Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Model Railroading > CR Transfer Caboose

Date: 12/15/14 15:06
CR Transfer Caboose
Author: ghemr

Here's something I kitbashed 25 years ago. At the time I couldn't obtain the brass one and Wright Trak Models didn't exist....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/14 09:42 by CSX_ENG.

Date: 12/15/14 15:18
Re: CR Transfer Caboose
Author: wheel_slip

These transfer cabooses were everywhere around Columbus. This is an extremely well done model.

Andy

Date: 12/15/14 16:21
Author: ChrisCampi

Nice looking car. Now throw a BBQ on that deck and your good to go...

Chris

Date: 12/15/14 16:25
Author: boejoe

Yes, very nice considering what one had to work with in those days. Looks like an Athearn caboose frame and trucks. Can't identify other parts: body, roof, etc. The side handrail stanchions are especially good looking.

Date: 12/15/14 21:03

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Looks like an Athearn caboose
> frame and trucks. Can't identify other parts:
> body, roof, etc. The side handrail stanchions are
> especially good looking.

You're right---it's an Athearn frame and trucks from their bay window caboose. In fact, the entire body is two Athearn bay window cabooses with the middle sections of each removed. When I rejoined them back together the small side windows fit perfectly in the middle which then formed the center windows! The handrail stanchion may have been Precision Scale (or Cal Scale?) for Alco locomotives. The flooring is metal roofwalks to replicate grating. The handrails were bent from wire using a simple jig. Overall the dimensions are very close to represent a CR N9 caboose.

Date: 12/15/14 21:28
Author: bnsfsd70

Looks great! I remember seeing those on locals through Hammond/Whiting and Dolton when I was a kid, esp. on the "bottle" trains. Very cool!

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 12/16/14 08:44
Author: wabash2800

Very nice. I recall a kitbashing article in Railroad Model Craftsman years ago doing something similar for a Penn Central (former NYC) version. I seem to recall it started with a box car.

Date: 12/16/14 09:35

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice. I recall a kitbashing article in
> Railroad Model Craftsman years ago doing something
> similar for a Penn Central (former NYC) version. I
> seem to recall it started with a box car.

Yes, that was RMC June 1974....

Date: 12/16/14 12:49
Author: joemvcnj

Why were transfer cabooses with the large open platforms (with no cover) advantageous as opposed to conventional cabooses ?

Date: 12/20/14 14:14
Author: wabash2800

In answer to your question, I think they were mostly home-builds when (operable) cabooses were in short supply. For example, the NYC had a ton of wood cabooses in the 1960s that just weren't worth putting any more money into for branch line service or backup moves in industrial areas. And the large platforms on the new transfer cabooses made good platforms for crews making "shoving" or long back up moves. (There are some photos of crew members placing chairs outside to sit on, though I wouldn't think that a safe practice even if the chair was strapped down.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/14 16:24 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds