Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Model Railroading > ExactRail releases all-new Bethlehem 3483 paint schemes

Date: 12/18/14 20:48
ExactRail releases all-new Bethlehem 3483 paint schemes
Author: choochooboy

Available now! ExactRail is proud to offer the second release of Bethlehem 3483 Hoppers in all-new paint schemes for the East and West coast and undecorated kits!

CSX acquired Bethlehem 3483 hoppers from the Union Pacific. These cars bore various Rio Grande schemes and CSXT reporting marks. There are different variations to how CSX stenciled the reporting marks on these cars. Our models accurately represent three common versions, plus we offer a road number specific paint scheme! This paint scheme, in combination with the other CSX paint scheme versions, will allow your CSX coal train to have the variations of the prototype.

We are proud to introduce four all-new paint schemes in Rio Grande. These include the D&RGW 1972 “As Delivered, D&RGW 1982 “As Delivered” and two road number specific paint schemes, Southern Pacific Speed Lettering #12663 and D&RGW Medallion repaint #12788.

The Bethlehem 3483 Hopper is held by many to be the quintessential Western coal hopper of the modern era. In volume 4 number 3 of the Prospector, The Rio Grande Historical Society published “if one had to pick THE [sic] signature freight car of the Rio Grande in its final quarter century, it would undoubtedly be the 100 ton quad hopper from Bethlehem Steel Car.”

These cars went everywhere!

• Rio Grande 1972 “As Delivered” paint scheme: This paint scheme represents the 16375-16774 equipment series of Bethlehem 3483 hoppers. This paint scheme has unique mechanical data scripts on the car side, and it was delivered with single consolidation lube stencils and an ACI label. This is the earliest Rio Grande paint scheme that we have offered to date on the Bethlehem 3483!
• Rio Grande 1982 “As Delivered” paint scheme: This car represents the final lot (12500-12750) of Rio Grande Bethlehem 3483s. The paint scheme on this car is unique in that the railroad adopted a new lettering style for the capacity data block. This car also bears Bethlehem-Johnstown builder’s logo. Finally the dimensional and mechanical data is arranged in different locations than any of our previous releases. If you see Rio Grande painted Bethlehem 3483s on the rails today, they are likely to be from this equipment series!
• D&RGW Medallion repaint #12788: This paint scheme is a road number specific replica of Union Pacific’s car #12788. Union Pacific repainted a small number of D&RGW Bethlehem 3483 hoppers into a paint scheme that we refer to as “Medallion repaints.” This car is still in service today in this paint scheme, and it has been meticulously recreated to be a genuine replica!
• D&RGW Speed Lettering SP Repaint #12663: The Southern Pacific repainted a small number of D&RGW Bethlehem 3483 hopper into paint schemes with ‘Southern Pacific’ in speed lettering. This car is a precise match to D&RGW #12663. This includes the manner in which the T and H in ‘Southern’ and the C and I in ‘Pacific’ wrap over the ribs of the car.
• CSX “3-panel” ex-D&RGW repaints: From among the paint scheme variations of the CSX fleet, it is common to have the car number across three panels. The CSX “3-panel” ex-D&RGW paint scheme replicates this version with full Rio Grande lettering.
• CSX “2-panel” ex-D&RGW repaints: From among the paint scheme variations of the CSX fleet, it is common to have the car number across two panels. The CSX “2-panel” ex-D&RGW paint scheme replicates this version with full Rio Grande lettering.
• CSX “3-panel” post SP repaints: From among the paint scheme variations of the CSX fleet, it is common to have the car number across three panels. The CSX “3-panel” post SP repaint paint scheme replicates the version of CSX repaints with ‘Rio Grande’ patched out.
• CSX Medallion Repaint #834055: Of the ex-Union Pacific Bethlehem 3483 hoppers, some of these were repainted in Union Pacific medallion paint schemes before being acquired by CSX. CSX #834055 is a road number specific paint scheme of this variation.

To know more about our attention to these models, please see our video on Youtube entitled 'ExactRail Overview of the Bethlehem 3483 and 3737 HO Scale hoppers Northwest RPM'.

ExactRail is pleased to offer the Bethlehem 3483 Hopper in 8 exceptionally accurate paint schemes and undecorated kits. Update your rolling stock today with highly authentic replicas of a truly common prototype!

ExactRail's Bethlehem 3483 Hopper is complete with exclusive features, including:

• Your choice of load styles: Heap or Flood!
• ExactRail’s equalized 100 ton ASF Ride Control Trucks
• Machined metal wheel sets and axles
• Kadee ® #58 “scale” couplers
• Narrow-style draft box, featuring: key detail, shank wedges, striker castings and full nut and bolt detail
• Numerous separately applied details, including: double door Wine locks, brake levers, bell cranks, air hoses and brake appliance details!
• Exceptionally accurate printing and colors!
• Wire coupler cut levers, grab irons, brake rods and lever hangers!

Please visit ExactRail.com for more details and to view our gallery of photos for each paint scheme!

Happy railroading!

Blaine Hadfield

ExactRail

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/14 21:01 by choochooboy.

[img::]https://cdn.trainorders.com/attachments/thumbs/937000/ep_81462_02.jpg[/img]

Date: 12/18/14 20:50
Re: ExactRail releases all-new Bethlehem 3483 paint sch

A few more paint schemes!

Blaine Hadfield

ExactRail

Date: 12/18/14 20:51

Final pictures!

Blaine Hadfield

ExactRail

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/14 20:54 by choochooboy.

Date: 12/18/14 21:22

By the way, check out the lettering on the D&RGW #12633!

Blaine Hadfield

ExactRail

Date: 12/19/14 05:23
Author: toledopatch

choochooboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> By the way, check out the lettering on the D&RGW
> #12633!
>
> Blaine Hadfield
>
> ExactRail

Man, if you didn't see the scrunched-up lettering on the prototype, you'd surely think it was a decaling mistake on the model. Well done.

Date: 12/19/14 06:42
Author: SPDRGWfan

Abandon hope all ye who enter here!

Faints....

Jim Fitch

Date: 12/19/14 09:04
Author: pmirick

When did CSX get these cars and how long did they run in this paint?

Date: 12/19/14 11:19
Author: bridgeportsub

I got some shots of some of the CSX cars at Meadow Creek,WV that I took a few years back, There were 4 or 5 cars there,but they were all black with the Rio Grande action lettering and CSX reporting marks. Can't say I ever saw a red CSX car with UP reporting marks.

GRS

Date: 12/19/14 11:58
Author: drolsen

pmirick Wrote:
> When did CSX get these cars and how long did they
> run in this paint?

The earliest photo I've found online was from Jan 2005:

CSXT 834044:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=260948

The latest photo I've seen was from Nov 2013. Over the last couple years, CSX's coal hoppers seem to have pretty much disappeared from the VA/DC/MD area where I railfan, so it wouldn't surprise me if CSX has been scrapping them as their new coal gon orders arrive.

Here's the prototype for the car in the patched mineral red UP scheme:

CSXT 834055:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rsPicture.aspx?id=61849

The CSX and DRGW schemes both look fantastic. I caught the SP speed lettered car back in 2006, so I'll have to get that one:

DRGW 12663:
http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3534247

Thanks for continuing to make undecorated kits available too, Blaine!

Dave

Date: 12/19/14 15:53
Author: RyanWilkerson

Those look great. I especially like the unique speed lettered car. Are these going to come to N scale?

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 12/19/14 18:57
Author: atsf121

Well there goes the budget Blaine! Those look great, somehow I'll have to find a way to get a few.

Nathan

Date: 12/19/14 20:02
Author: Notch16

Well, one thing nobody needs to tell you, Blaine, is that you need to get outside more often!

Wow. Yeah, the SP Speed Lettering -- done strictly as is -- is a true highlight, and no, we wouldn't have believed it if we hadn't seen it. Thank you for not improving on reality; it's SO much more interesting this way!

Nice work, BH and ER!

~ BZ

Date: 12/20/14 07:19
Author: keysubdiv

along with all of the PEPX hoppers

twl

drolsen Wrote:
> pmirick Wrote:
> Over the last couple years, CSX's coal hoppers
> seem to have pretty much disappeared from the
> VA/DC/MD area where I railfan, so it wouldn't
> surprise me if CSX has been scrapping them as
> their new coal gon orders arrive.
>
> Dave

Date: 12/20/14 08:48
Author: drolsen

keysubdiv Wrote:
> along with all of the PEPX hoppers

Yeah, that's been disappointing for me. PEPCO has always been "my" local power company when it comes to railfanning in the area, so I've enjoying photographing their hoppers and gons, as you can see:

http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList.aspx?id=PEPX

I keep hoping to find just a few more, especially the black Thrall gons, but I think they're all gone. If they're in storage somewhere, I'd make a road trip to photograph them one more time.

Dave

Date: 12/20/14 14:16
Author: SilvertonRR100

choochooboy Wrote:
>
> These cars went everywhere!
>
> • Rio Grande 1972 “As Delivered” paint
> scheme: This paint scheme represents the
> 16375-16774 equipment series of Bethlehem 3483
> hoppers. This paint scheme has unique mechanical
> data scripts on the car side, and it was delivered
> with single consolidation lube stencils and an ACI
> label. This is the earliest Rio Grande paint
> scheme that we have offered to date on the
> Bethlehem 3483!

Blaine,

Seeing the photo you supplied of a model is the 16275, is the above paragraph containing a typo? Should this be group 16275-16774? Just trying to keep it straight in my mind, and that is one BIG challenge!

Thanks, and Happy Holidaze!

Rob

Date: 12/21/14 10:06
Author: keysubdiv

I finished up 52 PEPX cars with the custom decals from Highball Graphics.
24 Bowser 100 tons
14 Athearn Thrall Gons
14 Walthers 4000 cu. ft. (there close enough for me)

tom

drolsen Wrote:
> keysubdiv Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > along with all of the PEPX hoppers
>
> Yeah, that's been disappointing for me. PEPCO has
> always been "my" local power company when it comes
> to railfanning in the area, so I've enjoying
> photographing their hoppers and gons, as you can
> see:
>
> http://drolsen.rrpicturearchives.net/rsList.aspx?i
> d=PEPX
>
> I keep hoping to find just a few more, especially
> the black Thrall gons, but I think they're all
> gone. If they're in storage somewhere, I'd make a
> road trip to photograph them one more time.
>
> Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0949 seconds