Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Model Railroading > PhotoShop vs. Garage Door

Date: 12/21/14 10:54
PhotoShop vs. Garage Door
Author: railstiesballast

When I moved my layout to a new location in a garage, what was formerly an access walkway along a cedar paneled wall is now a set of garage doors.
I wanted to paint the doors but still leave them functional, on nice days in this climate open-air light and climate is most excellent.
The first image is looking over a ridge to the doors.
The second image is after a "first draft" painting just to check the colors and horizon height. The white area is to become a cloudy area.
The third image is about one minute of "clone stamping" the door tracks and "spot healing" the hinges.
This makes the whole room more inviting and will apparently make it very easy to take realistic photos from almost any angle.
I plan to go back and put a little more white where the shadow lines angle down from the garage door corners.
No trains visible?
This too is realism, you know if you've waited for a train but found yourself enjoying the view and perhaps seeing some wildlife.
If model railroading is supposed to be fun, this fits the bill!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/14 10:57 by railstiesballast.

Date: 12/21/14 11:42
Re: PhotoShop vs. Garage Door
Author: SeaboardMan

Really like the garage doors, they look great. But that facia (grey on grey), that needs some serious help.
John

Date: 12/21/14 11:52
Author: FrensicPic

The "roll-up" sky with hinges is pretty cool!

Date: 12/21/14 12:19
Author: warrenpweiss

Well done in many respects. Not only the garage door, but also the beautifully executed scenery and the idea of a realistic scene without the presence of a train. Love it.

Warren

Date: 12/21/14 12:37
Author: grahamline

Very clever. Can you tell us more about the camouflage fascia?

Date: 12/21/14 13:37
Author: railstiesballast

I'll do a more complete report about the front panels sometime soon.
Let me take a suite of representative pictures first.
There are four different styles of fascias, one a plain green, one a rocky gray you see here, one a green DOD camouflage, and one a desert tone pattern, each to fit a specific purpose.
Attached is an image of when all the panels were plain green (and also showing the cedar paneling in the old layout room).
I found that the panels being green in the foreground worked fine, viewers of either the layout or of images kind of interpret that as a picture border.
But when viewing across part of the layout to a distant aisle, the green was too dramatic, even when I toned down the hue.
Watch for further reports.

Date: 12/21/14 14:03
Author: 3rdswitch

Nice job on layout scenery, depot looks like Santa Fe Vaughn NM.
JB

Date: 12/21/14 15:05
Author: dgraves

Really nice looking layout.

Date: 12/21/14 16:31
Author: HB90MACH

Beautiful work. Can we see more?

Date: 12/21/14 18:21
Author: trainjunkie

Can we assume it's all hand-laid track? ;-)

Date: 12/21/14 20:52
Author: warrenpweiss

Can't wait to see much more of this fantastic layout. The prototypical right of way, track and subtle elevation differences in the flat area tell me that a lot of thought went into this.

Warren

Date: 12/22/14 05:06
Author: hwb36604

well done

Date: 12/22/14 10:34
Author: tehachapifan

Some of the best scenery I've ever seen! Love the street too. The color and striping looks perfect. Also love the dirt road. Care to share methods?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.047 seconds