Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Model Railroading > Bluford Shops HO/N Scale Cabooses

Date: 01/27/15 13:30
Bluford Shops HO/N Scale Cabooses
Author: UPJeff

Bluford Shops has announced a new run of cabooses in HO and N scale. One of them is a Santa Fe Caboose:

http://www.bluford-shops.com/bluford_93_023.htm

Santa Fe transfer caboose #1001 is thought to have been built from spare parts at their shops in greater Kansas City and used at least for a part of its life in that city. As far as we know, the #1001 was the only “shack on a flat” style transfer caboose on the Santa Fe.
HO Scale: 34180 Santa Fe #1001.
N Scale: 24180 Santa Fe #1001

I do not believe that I have ever seen pictures of this caboose. Any one seen photos or have photos of this caboose?

Jeff Smith
Lakewood, CA
RailMaster Hobbies

Date: 01/27/15 16:22
Re: Bluford Shops HO/N Scale Cabooses
Author: HB90MACH

I can not find anything on it. even roster checks. Although the a lot of number slots around 1001 are blank. So there is hope that it is an obscure thing that is around somewhere. I did find this most interesting tailor. Looks like a tyco or Lionel paint job.

Date: 01/27/15 17:32
Author: bnsfsd70

Not sure of that one, but the METRA one has me uber-excited! This will be great with my Metra work train, esp. now that the MicroTrains SW1500 showed up!

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 01/27/15 18:53
Author: PHall

Nice collection of Foobies...

Date: 01/27/15 19:00
Author: moose

A friend has been waiting a year for a MoPac caboose from Bluford and has heard no word from two major hobby shops. Not sure I'd put much trust in them for a Santa Fe cab anytime soon.

Date: 01/27/15 20:06
Author: MilwMike

Who cares about the Santa Fe, when you could have the Chicago Short Line ones, they will go nicely with the Athearn SW1500's.

MilwMike

Date: 01/27/15 20:17
Author: drolsen

The model is not quite correct for CSX's cabs, but I may order the factory-painted model and see if I can modify it while preserving the lettering. It's always difficult to match decals to the particular prototype data, so it would be nice if theirs is accurate.

Dave

Date: 01/28/15 09:43
Author: BN_FAN

Dave,

I have no affiliation with the seller, but it may be worth looking into this aftermarket roof on Shapeways:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/ZQS2Q4DE4/ho-bluford-caboose-roof?li=search-results-1&optionId=41848664

The diagonal panel stampings don't look quite the right shape to my eye, but I haven't seen a prototype roof on one of these cabooses to compare it to.

Doug Stark

drolsen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The model is not quite correct for CSX's cabs, but
> I may order the factory-painted model and see if I
> can modify it while preserving the lettering. It's
> always difficult to match decals to the particular
> prototype data, so it would be nice if theirs is
> accurate.
>
> Dave

Date: 01/28/15 10:24
Author: drolsen

BN_FAN Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The diagonal panel stampings don't look quite the
> right shape to my eye, but I haven't seen a
> prototype roof on one of these cabooses to compare
> it to.

Hi Doug, thanks for the tip. Here's thenprototype (best photo I've found):

CSXT 16602:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=201010

I agree that the Shapeways roof doesn't look quite right, but it's pretty close. I was able to purchase a couple extra roofs from Bluford, so my plan is to splice their diagonal panel into the longer smooth roof. I haven't had a chance to tackle that project though. When I get to it, I'll definitely compare the roofs to see if the Shapeways would be a good route to take (the two rows of rivets at either end are a nice touch).

Dave

Date: 01/29/15 13:23
Author: cabman

I happened to be looking through my ancient copy of Frank Ellington's "Caboose Cars of the Santa Fe" today and spotted what I think you are talking about on page 62-65. There are several photos of transfer cabooses 1000 and 1005, so wouldn't one assume there were 1001,1002,1003,and 1004 also? All were taken in Argentine between 1956 and 1970. The Bluford caboose will only have a slight resemblance to the actual one, model will look better than the prototype IMHO. So there you have it...can't argue with Frank!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0629 seconds