Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Model Railroading > A few pictures from the lumber mill

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/16/15 09:27
A few pictures from the lumber mill
Author: andrewcastle

Hi guys.

I will start with a bit of an introduction. I occasionally post here but haven't really shown any of my work since the demise of the old Atlas Forum.

I am building a double-deck HO layout based on the Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada area in 1997. The layout is about 15' x 24', it has a third staging level underneath, and two helixes to connect everything together. Most of the layout focuses on CN but the Cape Breton & Central Nova Scotia Railway (CBNS) has a short run from the Truro yard where they interchange with CN to a separate staging yard. This was the first area of scenery I started, most of the space is taken up by Sproule Lumber, an Irving lumber mill. I have modelled less than half of the real but I am really happy with the way everything is coming together.

The first two pictures speak for themselves, the third is two lumber kilns still under construction.

Date: 04/16/15 09:29
Re: A few pictures from the lumber mill

The next two pictures show a wider view of the mill and then an overview of the whole layout section.

I hope to share more pictures with you guys as progress continues, right now I am at the workbench adding to the locomotive fleet but I hope to get the whole lumber mill scene finshed by the end of June.

Thanks for looking.

Andrew C

Date: 04/16/15 09:45
Author: Red_over_Yellow

Beautiful, Thanks for sharing. 

Date: 04/16/15 10:55
Author: Casselton

Really nice work.
Casselton

Date: 04/16/15 11:24
Author: TCnR

Nice work on the details, the packaged lumber moving out of the mill, the chip bins and plumbing.
t4p, feel free to post more photos.

Date: 04/16/15 11:30
Author: sp8192

Nice detail!  Well done.

Date: 04/16/15 11:45
Author: tankcarsrule

Andrew, this looks great!

Regards, Bobby

Date: 04/16/15 13:51
Author: pilotblue

Scene compostion is excellant and I like the backdrop very much. Thanks for sharing the photos!!!

Date: 04/16/15 14:16
Author: lizzard_45

Very nice! Where did you get the forks for the loader? Very cool scene.

Paul Liddiard
Spanish Fork, UT

Date: 04/16/15 15:08
Author: Finderskeepers

That second picture looks so real, well done!

Date: 04/16/15 15:26
Author: DKay

Outstanding work,please post more pics.
Your transition from background to foreground is very convincing
Regards,DK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/15 19:43 by DKay.

Date: 04/16/15 18:14
Author: northridgeswitcher

Great modeling.

Lumber will be an important industry on my layout so thank you for sharing.  Some excellent work and photography.

Northridge Switcher

Date: 04/16/15 18:28

Thanks for the compliments everybody, I appreciate it.

The forks on the loaders were scratchbuilt from styrene and brass. Other than the forks both loaders just got a coat of dullcoat, some dirt on the tires, and an operator in the cab.

I will definitely post more pictures as time goes on including the kilns when they are finished.

Andrew C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/15 18:29 by andrewcastle.

Date: 04/16/15 19:36
Author: icancmp193

Like!

Tom Y

Date: 04/16/15 21:20
Author: ChrisCampi

Lots to like there Andrew. I to really like the loaders.

Chris

Date: 04/16/15 23:41
Author: georgiaroad

AMAZING--I worked in them, around them and on them...you are spot on!

H in AL

Date: 04/17/15 05:52
Author: rschonfelder

Among all of the nice compliments, nobody has complimented you on your presentation.  It deserves recognition.  I like the skirt underneath, the choice of colour is appealing and I like the lighting that you've done behind the valance.

Can you tell us more on what products you used?

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/15 05:54 by rschonfelder.

Date: 04/17/15 07:54

Rick,

Thank you.

The benchwork is mainly 1x3 lumber with plywood and foam on top. The valance framing is also 1x3, the fascia and valance are made from 1/8" hardboard. The lighting is done with 5000K compact fluorescent lights in cheap sockets from the hardware store and the diffusers are standard drop ceiling T-bar and panels. I also am happy with the green, it's not too dark and seems to frame everything quite well. The blue sky on the backdrop is painted blue and fades to a lighter chade near the horizen and the photo backdrops are from Sceniking.

Andrew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/15 07:55 by andrewcastle.

Date: 04/17/15 18:44
Author: KsPoker

andrewcastle,

Could you tell me the brand name of the lumber loads that you used and/or where you bought them if online? I have some cars that I'd really like to use the same lumber loads as what you used for your layout.

Casselton - I would agree. Nice work!

KsPoker

Date: 04/17/15 23:36

The lumber is all scratchbuilt. I did up the graphics for the lumber wrap in Adobe Illistrator and printed it on regular paper. The core of the lifts are pieces of balsa or basswood with two pieces of scale 2x4 glued to the bottom, the wrap is cut to size and glued over the wood core.

Andrew

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds