Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Model Railroading > Re: Athearn Genesis GP 38-2W Wheel Jump (11-18-2014)

Date: 07/03/15 12:55
Re: Athearn Genesis GP 38-2W Wheel Jump (11-18-2014)
Author: calsubd

Thanks for all the suggestions espee4ever, kdrtrains, andrewcastle and KA7008, problem solved, finally got to it today, Aftter adding a 8 pin decoder, the wires for that truck came out of the weight channel and got trapped between the decoder and weight (shortening it), just a matter of repositioning it, also fixed the 1 headlight that got pulled out, Thanks again

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 07/04/15 07:33
Author: stevenlsilva

has anybody out there have troubles with athearn engines having one truck pickup? check out your units i think you will find how many you have i have had to fix 90% of athearn engines, and some intermountian and walthers gp60s.

Date: 07/04/15 08:11
Author: calsubd

StevenLSilva Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> has anybody out there have troubles with athearn
> engines having one truck pickup? check out your
> units i think you will find how many you have i
> have had to fix 90% of athearn engines, and some
> intermountian and walthers gp60s.
I have never had that problem, but you might get more responces on your own thread with your subject  in the subject box,  just saying,

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 07/04/15 09:07
Author: drgwrgs

I have had to rewire a lot of new locomotives with one truck pick up.  Athearn and Atlas both, but not every engine I bought.  It's annoying to pay that kind of money and still have to install Kadee couplers, delubricate the gears, etc.  It's worth it to get a better looking engine, but why can't they get it right the first time?

Date: 07/06/15 05:02
Author: RGDave

100% agreed, I have had issues with about 8 separate new locomotives over the last 10 years with one truck or the other not working as a pick-up.  Most of these issues  are with Athearn products, but I have had the same issue twice with Atlas units too.  In several cases, this was a bad solder joint behind one of the sideframes, and in others, the plastic tab crimp was not working.  All of it is repairable but very frustrating that new engines costing in excess of $200 (many close to $300) need this level of attention for a basic issue.

~RGDave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0395 seconds