Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Model Railroading > Genesis MRL 4312 in redball logo

Date: 07/21/15 14:40
Genesis MRL 4312 in redball logo
Author: fbe

I picked up my model at the local hobby shop today. It is what we expect from Genesis these days, it looks great and runs smoothly.

The model represents the unit right after repainting with what Athearn calls "inverter late" panel behind the cab. This has a tall vertical intake screen. All of the MRL ACe units including 4312 have since had this inverter cover changed to a newer version with a shorter horizontal grill.

The model has warning appliqués under the radiators in yellow which so far are unique to this unit on the MRL.

The incandescent bulb headlights and ditchlights have brighter output than some recent Athearn models. They are all nicely centered in their castings and look nice in the model though they may be a bit yellow for prototypes of today's era. The ditch lights do not flash when the horn is sounded per these locos on MRL.

I need to find the 5 chime horn on the Tsunami to make that sound right. The Leslie RS5T sounds closer than the default Nathan K5LLA.

A very nice model from Athearn which will be right at home on the Helena or Livingston helpers with occasional duty on the Gas Locals or ML/LM pool.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/15 17:04 by fbe.

Date: 07/21/15 15:50
Re: Genesis MRL 4312 in redball logo
Author: monaddave

fbe Wrote:
>> The ditch lights do not flash when the horn is sounded per these locos on MRL>>

Arfbee,
You might go watch the ML leave town next trip over Madison/ Taylor Streets. I don't think very many of the ACes have flashing ditch lights, only the older units.
Dave

Date: 07/21/15 16:10

The ML/LM trains have been running with the newer 4400 series ACe units. They came after I retired so I did not get to run them to experience the light functions.

None of the 4300s on the gas locals had flashing ditch lights when I worked. Having said that, these lighting functions run through computers so it is possible MRL can change the lighting functions any time they want. With the Tsunami decoder on the model purchasers can program the ditchlights to flash with the horn function if they like. The model instruction booklet gives instructions on which CVs to change.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/15 17:06 by fbe.

Date: 07/21/15 19:59
Author: cascadehogger

Nice!  The hobby shop in Eugene, OR had one of the early versions in the case for a while.  Pretty nice.  I did pick up the 390 & 391 fromt he latest F45 run from Athearn.  Those two and the Wlathers Proto SD45 are the only MRL units I have to remind me of my days on MRL.

Date: 07/21/15 23:35
Re: Genesis MRL 4312 in redball logo, photo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds