Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Model Railroading > On30 Dardenelle & Eastern Layout Framing

Date: 08/30/15 14:14
On30 Dardenelle & Eastern Layout Framing
Author: SandingValve

I've had a few requests about my new layout's framing construction. The modules are 48" in length and no deeper than 39" (actual finished surface depth is 36" due to vertical section of ribs with uprights). This gives me a 12 sqft footprint on the largest module and about 8sqft footprint on each of the other two modules.

The module's framing incorporates a 3/4" thick plywood rib and open grid design that is sheathed with 1/4" plywood decking where the trains will operate. The bulk of the framing is constructed from two sheets of 3/4" plywoood. I used good grade 2x3 dimensional lumber for the uprights attached to each of the ribs. The upper section of the ribs are notched to accept a standard section of 3/4" shelving material. The remaining area of the upper area of the modules are also sheathed with 1/4" plywood decking.

By using a 'French cleat' to attach the modules to the wall I was able to hang the modules and slide them into final position before securing them to each other and finally to the wall studs with 1/4" lag screws and washers. The result is a very rock solid free floating benchwork design that does double duty for the trains to run on and to display some railroad memorabilia above the layout.

For those interested here's the framing details:

#1- Layout/Cutting template for module framing members
#2- Dimensions for support ribs

SV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/15 20:41 by SandingValve.

Date: 08/30/15 14:16
Re: On30 Dardenelle & Eastern Layout Framing

#3- Modules
#4- Benchwork framing

Date: 08/30/15 16:06
Author: BAB

Why by the way use 1/4" plywood as being that thin will cause problems down the road with warping and such?  I used 1 by 4 wood for my legs and framing by the way screwed together. Worked quite well and one screw in the floor for each leg on long runs use two in an L shape.. Just FYI as I had a friend design it and lay out the boxes as we called them. Also used cabnet grade 3/4" plywood so didnt have to worry about blows in it. All track is mounted on that in L girder fashon was quick and easy with a level too.  Should add that mine is ON30 gauge with ON3 style cars and engines which are a little heavier than Bachmann.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/15 16:08 by BAB.

Date: 08/30/15 20:39

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why by the way use 1/4" plywood as being that thin
> will cause problems down the road with warping and
> such?

As modelers we tend to overbuild our benchwork, which sometimes is required, but not in this layout's case.

In the past I have used 1/2" to 3/4" plywood for the layout's substrate resting on open grid benchwork or 'L' girders and supported by 2x2 legs, fabricated wooden legs or wall brackets. It didn't matter whether it was a 'cookie' cutter design or used actual separate segments of plywood cut out to the desired shapes. For my last L shaped 11ft x 21ft around the room layout I choose to forgo any plywood at all. The layout was supported using 2x2 legs and custom built wooden wall brackets all connected together lengthwise with 'L' girders. The layout's substrate was 3" thick DOW brand Styrofoam© insulation board that was glued atop the framework. The room the layout was in was an enclosed porch area that endured humidity and temperature swings of 50ºF during the year. I never had any trouble with the layout's framing warping, but I did have to adjust the clearances of the two drop bridges from time to time.

For this layout I used a Kregg 'Pocket Hole' jig and fasteners (used in cabinet making) to join nearly all the framing members. All joints are glued and screwed as is the 1/4" plywood decking. This layout was built to be lightweight, yet sturdy. The 1/4" plywood decking isn't really needed as I could have merely glued the 1" foam board directly to the framing. The 1/4" plywood decking is there for 'shearing', to help keep the module frames square and rigid. As a bonus I end up with a larger surface area to apply adhesive for attaching the foamboard. If you were to manhandle one of these modules you would be quite surprised how lightweight and rigid they are given their size. Also all the scenery landforms will be foam with a moderate amount of lightweight plaster rock castings.

Since this layout resides in the main part of my home the temperature and humidity have very mild fluctuations. For more info regarding the details of this layout see this post:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3829825

Everyone's mileage will vary, especially when it comes to benchwork!
SV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/15 20:46 by SandingValve.

Date: 08/31/15 03:58
Author: MitchGDRMCo

Nothing like good cabinetry!

Date: 09/01/15 21:30
Author: atsf121

Kregg screws (and jigs) are great stuff. Layout was already built before I acquired those toys, but they sure worked well for some other large projects. I like you design, should be very sturdy and lightweight.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0682 seconds