Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn RTR DCC/Sound engine problem

Date: 02/11/16 13:42
Athearn RTR DCC/Sound engine problem
Author: pmirick

I have a couple of Athearn RTR/DCC/Sound equipment SD40's which are having a strange problem.  When MU and pulling a train up a grade the trailing unit (units) sometime sound the bell (single ring) and the headlight starts to flash.  Anyone else have a similar problem or an idea of how to fix the problem?

Date: 02/11/16 14:19
Re: Athearn RTR DCC/Sound engine problem
Author: calsubd

Factory installed Tsunami ?, you could  mute the second unit temporarily, but that doesn't really address the problem

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 02/11/16 14:38
Author: fbe

Isn't that what happens to DCC units when you turn the power on? The lights flash and the bell rings with sound. Or is that an error code for a short or something.

Check the manual to figure out what the decoder is trying to tell you then work from there.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/11/16 15:22
Author: pmirick

calsubd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Factory installed Tsunami ?, you could  mute the
> second unit temporarily, but that doesn't really
> address the problem

Yes it is the factory installed decoder.  I assume it is their Econami decoder.  Looked at the manual for that decoder but couldn't find any information about the problem I am having.

Date: 02/11/16 19:07
Author: calsubd

I don't have any knowledge of that decoder, so I would recommend calling Athearn and describe the problem to them, or if your going to consist them, give them both the same engine number and see if the problem continues,

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 02/12/16 01:43
Author: fbe

Go to page 60 of the decoder manual and see the topic "Diagnostic Codes". The paragraph tells if the headlights are flashing while the loco is running the decoder diagnostics have found a decoder fault. Counting the number of flashes of the headlight will tell you what the fault is.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/usersguide_diesel.pdf

If you go to Soundtraxx support you might find something more specific in the FAQ section.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/12/16 06:58
Author: Bob3985

The headlights flash on some decoder units to indicate an error and the number of flashes is supposed to identify the error.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds