Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Model Railroading > Strange looking Live Steam photo located ...

Date: 04/22/16 12:02
Strange looking Live Steam photo located ...
Author: KeyRouteKen

Hi Everybody--  In having a great time finding old pictures when I was cleaning my garage last weekend, I found the ATTACHED photo.
It was taken on the track of the Golden Gate Live Steamers in Oakland's "Redwood Regional Park" many, many years ago.  The engineer is at the controls of a
3/4-inch scale,  3 1/2-inch gauge Southern Pacific, Class P-4 "Pacific" 4-6-2.  It used denatured alcohol for fuel, but could also burn briquets or Welsh coal.
In a test, it pulled twelve adults with six children sitting on their laps, using four flat cars, without any hesitation whatsoever !!  It was built from scratch using raw materials by the late Victor Shattock.  My Grandpa !!
Why is the photo "strange looking" ??

On the back of the photo, my grandfather gives the explanation :   (He had beautiful penmanship)   See photo.

Note:  While in the NAVY overseas during the Vietnam era, my grandfather SOLD that engine behind my back !  Lots of guys in the Club were mad.  They knew that engine should have come to ME.  Today, the engine is owned by a collector in Palo Alto, CA.  It has NOT operated for many years !!!

KRK

Date: 04/22/16 12:24
Re: Strange looking Live Steam photo located ...
Author: warrenpweiss

Well, I'm glad that at least you have the 1/2" scale version of 2422 now!

Warren

Date: 04/22/16 14:58
Author: neildahl

I guess this was how it should have been printed.

Neil

Date: 04/22/16 15:04
Author: LarryDoyle

Thanks for flipping the photo.  I KNEW something looked wrong with the feedwater heater.

Vic, your grandfather sure did some nice work!  (Both in modelbuilding and in getting his grandson headed in the right direction.)

-John Stein

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds