Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Model Railroading > Timken boxcar

Date: 08/03/16 06:12
Timken boxcar
Author: cabman

I have just acquired an ancient Athearn/Menzies metal Timken Roller Bearing boxcar in the red and white scheme.  Is this the earliest model railroad "foobie" produced, or were there actual prototype examples?  I don't know what color to paint the roof, ends and doors but I suspect boxcar red on the first two and red/white on the doors, which should be fun.  By the way, this is one of those awful wood roof escutcheon pin editions and the roof itself is a teensy bit too wide to enable the sides to fit under the metal W strips.  I'm trying hard to make the best of a bad model including the use of an Accurail 40' plastic underbody to improve appearance and get better coupling.   Any photos of the Timken car would really be appreciated, if it did exist!

Date: 08/03/16 08:19
Re: Timken boxcar
Author: HB90MACH

The lionel postwar paint is pre tty close. Except the roof is suposed to be black. I do have one picture . i will up load it when i get home.

Date: 08/03/16 08:23
Author: MP_RD65

I do not know what your car looks like but there was indeed a Timken boxcar. The only pictures I have seen of it are in the Morning Sun book Akron, Canton & Youngstown and Akron & Barberton Belt In Color. According to the book it was built by ACF in July 1943 as TRBX 88. One picture shows it painted green with a Timken roller bearing logo and with railroad map on it. It was then painted yellow with a white strip across the middle and a black roof with a Roller Freight logo and Roller Freight spelled out on the white stripe. There were large display placards placed on the end and door of car in metal frames. It was then leased to the AC&Y and became ACY 600 still in the Timken yellow and white but with the AC&Y logo minus the display signs but the metal frames were still on it. I can't seem to find any pictures on line though of the car but a quick Google search will turn up the models that were made in the yellow and white scheme.

Date: 08/03/16 09:09
Author: Ray_Murphy

I can't comment on the existance of the "prototype," but I recall Timkin ads (with color illustrations of 40' boxcars) in magazines like Popular Mechanics at the time. There were both red ones and yellow ones.

Ray 

Date: 08/03/16 16:20
Author: HB90MACH

The version on the top is the very common version modeled. Think lionel post war. The bottom version is a version I dont see modeled at all.

Date: 08/03/16 18:15
Author: CR6079

While not in revenue sevice the trucks in the bottom photo still serve Timken in Canton,Oh on an inter-plant scrap gon, fellow worker and I always thought these were passenger trucks of some type.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/03/16 18:59
Author: fbe

The truck sure looks a lot like the inside bearing lead trucks on steam engines. Most of those commonly did not have brakes on them, though.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/04/16 08:14
Author: cabman

Based on the beautiful picture of a yellow Timken, I'm going to assume that the red and white car would follow the same paint pattern.  I'll paint the roof black and the ends and ladders red with the doors being red and white.   I found SP Daylight red to be a close match for the red,  Thanks for all your input. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds