Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Model Railroading > Disappointed with Lionel "Thomas".

Date: 12/27/00 12:52
Disappointed with Lionel "Thomas".
Author: tolland

I just gave my nephew a Lionel 027 "Thomas the Tank Engine" set for Christmas. I was disappointed with the amount of plastic parts that were used on the train, some of them pretty fragile. I thought Lionel's "claim to fame" was that they were more durable. Is this fragile plastic quality used on other recent Lionel trains too?

Tolland.

Date: 12/27/00 14:58
RE: Disappointed with Lionel "Thomas".
Author: sd80mac4100

The answer is YES, and that is also the explanation as to why MTH is now the number one O guage manufacturer of trains, MTH is more durable, Priced better and made with the consumer in mind!!!! If MTH would have made thomas he probably would have been die cast. Lionel is attempting a comeback now, hopefully they've learned that just because it says Lionel on the box doesn't mean it's worth it's weight in GOLD!!

Date: 12/27/00 22:01
Author: AGS3299

I don't know because I don't have the Thomas, but all of my Lionel stuff seems pretty durable even if it is mostly plastic. Some of my trains have taken a beating on the floor on the christmas layout, but nothing has been broken. Don't know about MTH either, I collect only Lionel.

Britt

Date: 12/28/00 05:00
Author: gtirr

MTH has definately taken over as the "Quality" leader in the 3-rail market. They are making trains like Lionel did 40 years ago. In the hobby shop I work at we sell 10 times more MTH than Lionel.
Lionel is not what it used to be and it's about time they woke up to the fact that people still put "Quality" before "Price." What's really bad is the price they ask for Lionel, you should get a lot better quality products.
If I was getting back into 3-rail, MTH would be the line I would be interested in.
gtirr

Date: 12/29/00 13:56
Author: martyc

I picked up most of the Lionel Thomas I have from dealers that were liquidating the stock for that very reason. I was also told to watch out for the O27 Thomas play sets as well.
Even the motors in the g-scale Thomas series are weak. Both engines are going to need replacements soon.
I have to agree, it's not what I expected from Lionel. And that was echoed by the dealers I spoke with.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds