Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Model Railroading > Code 88 Wheels

Date: 01/20/17 08:11
Code 88 Wheels
Author: Casselton

I am thinking about using NWSL HO Code 88 wheels on one of my F Units.   The look much better than standard wheels.   What I gather is they will work on standard HO track, but they don't play nice with all switches or crossovers.  Any opinions, comments or experience using Code 88?
Thanks - Mark
Casselton

Date: 01/20/17 08:20
Re: Code 88 Wheels
Author: tmurray

Semi-scale wheels don't require much in the way of track modification, assuming you're using code 83..
There is a bit of wheel drop" at the frog throat on longer turnouts, which a small piece of .020 styrene can fix.  There's not too much else.

Date: 01/20/17 09:29
Author: SP4360

I've added an .015 "wedgie" to all the frogs on my layout, Atlas, Shinhora, no more drop in the hole. Code 88 wheels work great.

tmurray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Semi-scale wheels don't require much in the way of
> track modification, assuming you're using code
> 83..
> There is a bit of wheel drop" at the frog throat
> on longer turnouts, which a small piece of .020
> styrene can fix.  There's not too much else.
>
>  

Date: 01/20/17 21:00
Author: Casselton

Thanks for the info.   Much appreciated.
Mark

Date: 01/21/17 06:08
Author: santafedan

How about a photo of the modification?

Date: 01/30/17 00:07
Author: SP4360

Here ya go, I had to do this to all Shinohara/Walthers turnouts I have in addition to a small amount of filing the flangeway width of the frog itself. IThey gauged slightly tight and the wheelsets would catch the point of the frog. They wouldn't derail, but would slightly jump. After those little mods, things roll very smooth without any dropping into the flangeway.

santafedan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about a photo of the modification?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0753 seconds