Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Model Railroading > Here is a interesting load to put together

Date: 03/07/17 16:34
Here is a interesting load to put together
Author: Barstool

Saw this load on the BNSF Port job in Stockton, leaving Mormon yard for the Port of Stockton, it has two layers of small piping plus four rolls of  very large pipe that could be used for sewer lines or industrial perposes....The small pipe can be found in the hobby shop, but one made have to be resourseful about the larger pipes...

Date: 03/07/17 17:09
Re: Here is a interesting load to put together
Author: jpf94

American cast iron pipe from birmingham alabama, an intersting load to be sure, my employer's line gets these cars about 3 times a week in the summer.   Lots of details to model

Joe

Date: 03/07/17 17:16
Author: WJEX

Looks like a very new car also.

Date: 03/07/17 22:39
Author: cajon

I saw that car Friday by Mojace CA.
Dennis

Date: 03/08/17 02:21
Author: Hookdragkick

Used to lay at Ductile Iron for potable water line or waste treatment uses.

I see many of those cars rolling west thru NM/AZ.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/08/17 06:54
Author: HB90MACH

That is all waterline pipe. The large is 48" main. The smaller 12" is to feed local 8" service lines. Soda straws are close enough to be the 12" a one dia. Pipe from plumbing supply will work for.the 48" as long as it is thin walled

Date: 03/09/17 00:16
Author: Chooch

I supose my question is, how do the go about unloading those pipes without creating a tumbling mess?

Jim
Hatboro, PA

Date: 03/09/17 05:21
Author: SPDRGWfan

It looks like the pipes could be removed one layer at a time.

Date: 03/09/17 08:41
Author: leonz

The pipe is either unloaded with a vacuum pipe lifter used on a
tracked excavator or a large four wheel drive fork lift or a 
front end loader equipped with a quick attach heavy fork lift set.

The most likely method would be with a small crane that is using a four point lifting
frame to lift each pipe with a strap set attached to the corners of the four point lifting frame.
Each pipe section is strapped in place individually with wood cradles to siupport each length
of cast iron pipe.

These loads have lots of weight and lots of mass that has to be held in place with multiple pipe straps holding
each and every pipe individually tightly in place with the steel strapping. 

Date: 03/09/17 10:11
Author: Barstool

Guys....the Port of Stockton is a no mans land, impossible to get in, it is patroled consistenly...and gated....I wanted to see just how this car would be unloaded, but there was no chance, in this train were five car loads of pipe on the same type flat car, looks like a 60 or 70 footer??

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds