Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > Can't believe everything on this board

Date: 04/20/01 06:32
Can't believe everything on this board
Author: Finderskeepers

A couple weeks ago on this board, someone posted that the Walthers
dynamometer cars had been cancelled due to "lack of interest", yet if you check on ebay, there are a multitude of them for sale, including pictures. Just goes to prove you can't believe everything you read.
here is url if you want to check it out for yourself
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1136734728

Date: 04/20/01 06:48
RE: Can't believe everything on this board
Author: airbrake

Though it is true what you say, the thread stated the working Dyno car was being cancelled. The car in your link does not have the functioning Dynamometer device.

Date: 04/20/01 12:18
RE: corrected url

ok, so the last one didn't state working innards, but this one does, is it a fake?
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1135491309

Date: 04/20/01 12:47
The whole incomplete car
Author: agnfan

Here's what I know
I work at a hobby shop and we recived two of those cars Yesterday. They still will measure the drawbar pull of locomotives but the Infared device will not be made. All that is in the car now is an unnumbered peice of metal with a bar that goes up and down and if you do a bunch of paper work you too can figure out your drawbar pull. I think it is a load of poo and they should not want $32.98 for a car that is incomplete. I hope this solves some of the mystery. My advice,boycott this car.
My 2 Cents
Greg

Date: 04/20/01 13:15
RE: corrected url
Author: airbrake

In the thread that was posted, they said Walthers told them that the car was discontinued because of lack of orders I think. At that time I looked at the Walther's page and it did not say anything about the working car being discontinued. But I do believe several other sources stated the same conversation with Walther's. As far as the metal bar and such goes dosen't sound to good to me. I too think this is a load of poo. These cars may go for a lot lower price in the future than now. But I agree with you, you can't believe everything on this board.

Date: 04/20/01 18:32
Sometimes you can...
Author: BCM

If my memory is correct, the article posted here a few weeks ago stated that the Walthers dynomometer car INFRARED LINK had been cancelled due to lack of interest...

When it was announced (and in all the original product info) the new Walthers dynomometer car was supposed to be equipped with an electronic (digital) readout on the top of the car and there would be an accessory kit that (upon installation) would transmit the data (by infrared link) to a remote digital readout.

Reportedly Walthers overstated their manufacturing capability (for the announced price) and elected to cancel the infrared link package and only equip the normal dynomometer car with a antiquated spring mechanism.

Between the originally advertised description, and the description still on the boxes the dyno cars are being delivered in (which still mentions the digital readout), this has got to be one of the largest false product advertisements yet in the model train industry...

- BCM
PS. The reason that so many Walthers dynomometer cars are currently for auction/sale on eBay probably has a lot to do with the number of people who refused to buy them when they determined that the dyno cars were not as originally (and currently on the box) advertised...

Date: 04/20/01 18:57
RE: Can't believe everything YOU MISREAD on TO...

I just went back to that thread (on 3/13) and it was about the Walthers #933-1052.

If you check the Walthers web site you will see that item is "Electronic Pack w/Remote Infrared Data Link for Dynamometer
Car" and the current status is "PROJECT HAS BEEN CANCELLED".

So "Finderskeepers", apparently you misread the initial posting... or did you just lose it's meaning...
- BCM

Date: 04/21/01 05:26
RE: memory isn't what it used to be

Ah, the good 'ol memory ain't what she used to be, and no I didn't scroll back 160 messages to read the exact wording. However, it was mentioned several times on this board that the entire project was cancelled, hence the headline of the post still rings true.

Date: 04/21/01 08:13
RE: memory isn't what it used to be

No need to scroll back 160 messages... That's what the forum "search" feature is for... And I didn't find any posts containing the word "Walthers" speaking of cancellation of the entire dynomometer project.
I did see such postings on another forum but not here...
- BCM

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds