Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Model Railroading > Tortoise Switch wire

Date: 04/23/17 18:16
Tortoise Switch wire
Author: SD608708

I read somewhere that you can upgrade a switch wire on a Tortoise switch machine. Does anyone know the correct size to use.
I'm not talking about electrical, but the that runs from the switch machine to the switch when power is supplied to move the switch rails.

Paul B
Canton, GA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/17 19:03 by SD608708.

Date: 04/23/17 20:27
Re: Tortoise Switch wire
Author: wabash2800

Paul:

Most of us replace the small diameter throw wire included with the machine with a .037" to .040" wire. That also means you will have to enlarge the hole in the side of the machine. But don't drill into the machine! You might also need to enlarge the hole in the turnout throwbar. But do that before you install the turnout.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/17 20:53 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/24/17 06:56
Author: SD608708

Thanks Victor. That's the information I was looking for.

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 04/24/17 07:11
Author: aehouse

I used lengths of unbent paper clips. While they are thicker than the wires Tortoise provides, they always worked fine for me.

Art House

Date: 04/24/17 08:40
Author: TCnR

There are standard sizes that should be available any decent hobby shop, including model RC airplanes. I'm finding above .04 doesn't bend easily, below .03 bends too easily and doesn't throw the points or move the electrical switch. The wire should be fairly inexpensive but finding somebody with a selection is a challenge.

Date: 04/24/17 11:20
Author: NCA1022

And the stiff steel wire you want for the Tortoise should NOT be cut with a nippers. It will cut, but leave a nice divot on the pliers' jaws in the process. Use a cut-off wheel in a Dremel instead. You can then use the Dremel to grind down the wire protruding above the throwbar so it's not sharp and doesn't snag track cleaning pads, etc.

- Norm

Date: 04/24/17 12:36
Author: Lighter

> process. Use a cut-off wheel in a Dremel instead.
> You can then use the Dremel to grind down the wire

Piano Wire is what you are talking about and it is the best solution for stiffer wire. Two other ways of cutting. Score with a triangle file and then break. Invest $$$ in piano wire cutters - Xuron has them for modeling sizes of piano wire.

Back when I was a gainfully employed and productive member of society I had cause to use piano wire "professionally," Score and snap was how "we" did it. Note: perspiration, kinks and bird poop cause early failure. Neither likely an issue with a switch motor!

Date: 04/24/17 18:15
Author: barrydraper

Our local standard is .036" piano wire, available from Walthers or McMaster Carr.

Barry Draper

Date: 04/25/17 14:56
Author: JeffZCT

I use anywhere up to .045 wire, depending on the location and brand of switch machine. I also invested in a good pair of cutting pliers from the local HD that does a quick neat job with both cutting the wire and trimming once installed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0775 seconds