Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Model Railroading > Kansas City area modellers, and Spotlight Model Trains

Date: 07/02/17 13:20
Kansas City area modellers, and Spotlight Model Trains
Author: NineHourLimit

Saw the obit today for Tem Johnson, former manager of the long gone Spotlight Model Trains. He was always friendly and helpful, even to a kid like me back in the '70s. His cohort, the crusty ole Art Pennington, was probably just as nice beneath the gruff exterior, but I tended to take my items to Tem for check out, when possible. I loved that store, especially the glass counter in back full of dusty Max Gray O scale engines that hadn't been sold or moved for years. And particularly the hand-built, balsa wood O scale Missouri Pacific E6 A&B units, that some 14 year old kid had built, or so the story goes. I wonder what ever became of them. Rest in Peace, Tem. And Thank You.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kansascity/obituary.aspx?n=temujin-johnson&pid=185971200&fhid=20461

Date: 07/02/17 13:36
Re: Kansas City area modellers, and Spotlight Model Trains
Author: Santafes95

I can't say for sure that I knew Tem but I do have great memories of Spotlight. It was always a thrill for me to go there with my father when I was a kid and then later when I began to model, it was fun to go with some extra money. It was a glimpse into old time hobby shops for me and I was amazed at the o scale models on display.

Date: 07/02/17 16:02
Author: displacedneb

Tem was a true gentleman. Always fun to talk with. Art Pennington was also quite a fellow. He did custom painting and I'm proud to have 2 engines that he did. Spotlight was started by and owned by the late Leonard Specht of Kansas City. He was a retired TWA Captain. Tem, I am going to miss you and the fun times I had with various people at Spotlight he introduced me to.

Date: 07/03/17 09:46
Author: wag216

I have known Tem for over 50 years and he was always "fun" to visit with! Until the illness caught up Tem, a bunch of us would meet him (and others) at "Doc's Hobby Shop" in the afternoon. Then we would move to the KC Round Table for a BS session, once a month. Rest in Peace, good friend! wag216 (Art Gibson)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds