Home Open Account Help 397 users online

Model Railroading > PK2 E-8 Gear Noise

Date: 09/25/01 21:38
PK2 E-8 Gear Noise
Author: randyr

Folks:

I have a PK2 E-8 that I purchased a couple years ago, I am finally getting away from "armchair model railroading" and building a layout. When I run the engine it has excessive gear noise, grinding. Sounds like my 30+ year old Tyco Alco something. I took it back to the dealer where I purchased it and he says it sounds fine, and some hobby shops wonder why they lose customers. Do I look that stupid, don't answer that! I don't want to return it, I just want it to run properly. All of my other PK2's, PA's, SD7-9's sound fine. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Randy in PHX

Date: 09/25/01 23:26
RE: PK2 E-8 Gear Noise
Author: flatwheel

Randy,

Send it back to Life-Like. It will cost you $14.00 I think because the warranty is out but it is well worth it. I have a SD9 that would not pull more than three cars. Sent it back to Life-Like with the required funds and they returned it in 2 weeks. Runs like a charm. Be sure to put a note inside the box detailing what is wrong with your return address. Insure the package and send it delivery conformation just in case they loose it at Life-Like.

I agree with you about the hobby shops - they all used to be Buick salesman.

Date: 09/26/01 06:44
Author: wabash2800

I had one like that and a friend of mine insisted we lube it. It is very quiet now. You might try that first before sending it back. Follow the instructions. You have to partially disassemble it.

Date: 09/26/01 07:30
Author: ncng

I have 5 of these locomotives and all of them have extremely loud gear noise. I have tried lubing them but that made no difference. I don't feel like returning them to Life-Like because I have DCC decoders hardwared into them. One positive note, you don't need a sound system in them to know when they are coming down the track. Not only can you hear them you can feel them coming.

Please post if you find a solution other than sending them back.

Date: 09/26/01 09:45
Author: A.Wallace

All noise is caused by vibration. In a gear train, this is likely caused by a worn bearing, or one that allows a turning shaft to "chatter". Lubrication will help somewhat, if the loose fit is not too great. A new bearing will solve the problem if it can be installed. If not, return to the manufacturer or dealer is the solution. It helps to cultivate a friendship with an amateur machinist who has a lathe and an appropriate-sized reamer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0922 seconds