Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Model Railroading > Triple Decker Dormitory Car

Date: 07/28/17 06:53
Triple Decker Dormitory Car
Author: Woodman

Last year I was a train show and purchased a Triple Decker Dormitory Car for the unbelievable price of $4. It is by Ambroid. I have just completed building the car and it turned out very nice, but it took 20+ hours to build. No compliant on how long it took, loved doing it. My question is was there every a real Triple Decker Dormitory Car with any RR? If so who built one. I can't seem to find anything but the model which I build on the internet. Just wondering.

Date: 07/28/17 07:10
Re: Triple Decker Dormitory Car
Author: Larry020

I googled railroad dormitory car

I created a shorter link.

http://bit.ly/2eUr98F

ʎɹɹɐl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/17 09:40 by Larry020.

Date: 07/28/17 07:52
Author: cabman

It must have been ungodly hot in that top floor in the summer when considering how men dressed in those days! Deodorant, anyone? Seriously, I always thought Ambroid released prototype cars, but I had trouble finding information on two of their cars, Unicel reefer and outside braced caboose, but thanks to internet and Trainorders, I eventually found some.

Date: 07/28/17 07:58
Author: boejoe

As I recall, the original instruction sheet for the triple decker dorm included one of the old photos shown on the reference site. The outside braced caboose eluded me for a long time but then discovered it was Nashville Chattanooga & St Louis prototype. The Unicel reefer goes way, way back. I think Ambroid offered it in the 50's (before my switch to HO)

Date: 07/28/17 11:23
Author: RichM

I believe in the Ambrose book about the transcontinental railroad there's a painting reproduction of the dorm car as well.

You're to be congratulated on building an Ambroid kit... I have a helium car of the same vintage that's intimidated me for 30+ years!

Date: 07/28/17 12:49
Author: Woodman

Thank you for the information. The only thing about building the kit is it takes time. I hate to do the windows, but it had to be done. It was a great deal of fun. Thanks for the pictures, I just was not sure if they were a kit or real. To see them in real life in pictures is a winner. Thanks again.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0651 seconds