Home Open Account Help 198 users online

Model Railroading > Reporting marks

Date: 07/28/17 08:36
Reporting marks
Author: GN_X838

I am going to repaint a caboose for my ficticous line. I noticed
when a unit changes numbers it is in a Yellow bar. Is there any
color code for these changes? ........Swede....Albany,OR.......

Date: 07/28/17 13:11
Re: Reporting marks
Author: toledopatch

GN_X838 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am going to repaint a caboose for my ficticous
> line. I noticed
> when a unit changes numbers it is in a Yellow bar.
> Is there any
> color code for these changes?
> ........Swede....Albany,OR.......

Are you referring to UP patches on ex-SP and ex-CNW locomotives in your example? That's not any sort of industry-wide practice. You can renumber rolling stock in just about any fashion, as long as it has only one number (multiple numbers would be an FRA violation). To be realistic, though, you should remove or patch out heralds for the caboose's previous owner. Given that I came on the railfanning scene after most caboose operations were over, the only second-hand cabeese I personally recall seeing were ex-C&NW ones on the Monongahela and the C&NW markings were all gone.

Date: 07/28/17 19:05

I have seen the SD40T-2 with a yellow stripe and new number. I guess I’ll
just painting over the line (CN) and number.. Was thinking of leaving the
number but decided to change everything....Thank you for the response.
...............Swede...............Albany,OR...........

Date: 07/29/17 10:44
Author: lizzard45

(Not my photos)
Is this what you are talking about? This is a Union Pacific patch out of the SP number to fit in the UP numbering system.
The second photo is a CSX patch out of a Conrail unit.
But as stated earlier, you can do anything you want on your road.
The third photo (mine) is a Golden West Service hopper I changed ownership to the Turtle Creek Central.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/17 10:48 by lizzard45.

Date: 07/29/17 22:47

Yes exactly. I am going to place temporary markings on until I determine my colors...
....Thanks again.............Swede.................Albany.OR......

Date: 08/02/17 12:41
Author: rbx551985

The U.P. patch simply used the UP yellow color and red numbers just like regular UP units. The Conrail unit has yellow numbers since it went to CSX after the Conrail split, and yellow is simply the color that CSX units have for the cab-side numbers (like any prudent RR, CSX just used their own yellow-numbers on their Conrail-acquired units. But the other posting members, above, got it JUST RIGHT: use whatever creative method you like on "your" freelance equipment. Heck, you can even make up backstories for various pieces of equipment's lettering/numbering -- for specific reasons ... and have fun with those stories that might clue others into what transpired on "your" RR when acquiring new equipment. Go for it!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds