Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Model Railroading > Looking for NYC prototype passenger/freight in HO.

Date: 08/24/17 20:19
Looking for NYC prototype passenger/freight in HO.
Author: MJV1988

Hello,

Just got the itch for some model railroading again. Been out of it since about 2000. I just recently purchased an NYC Hudson and Niagara from Rivarossi and Bachmann that were made from around that period (riv R5446 and BAC11305). I'd like to find some accurate NYC prototype equipment (pass, freight, caboose) or if there was any made around that time and if any was made since 2000. Seems like most of the companies at time like bachmann, Athearn and Rivarossi/IHC didn't have anything related to NYC stuff and mostly ATSF, PRR and UP prototype stuff. Any other companies I could check out without going crazy on money?

Posted from Android

Date: 08/24/17 21:06
Re: Looking for NYC prototype passenger/freight in HO.
Author: Trainboss

Ever heard of E-Bay?

Date: 08/24/17 21:09
Author: Larry020

He's asking for advice on what to buy, not where to buy it.  

Larry

Date: 08/24/17 21:16
Author: CPR_4000

Laserkit makes the 19000 class wood caboose and the Branchline (now Atlas) single window coach is an NYC prototype. Broadway Limited has made an NYC prototype steel boxcar and Westerfield has done several NYC boxcars and hoppers in resin. West Shore Line (Syracuse, NY) has done resin kits for a 40' steel gon and the Despatch Shops twin covered hopper. (These might be made by Funaro & Camerlengo these days). I think the Proto 2000 52' mill gon is NYC, also.

True Line Trains has done the 19000 caboose in RTR styrene, but it's very pricey. Most of the Branchline (Atlas) NYC cars are accurate, also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/17 08:12 by CPR_4000.

Date: 08/25/17 04:17
Author: SPDRGWfan

I did a little research and found the Atlas HO 50' post war NYC jade green box car is a good match to the prototype.

http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/Branchline/50sd/0216/20013002.jpg

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 08/25/17 07:05
Author: Alexmarissa

Lots of information at the New York Central System Historical Society website: www.nycshs.org

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/25/17 09:12
Author: CPR_4000

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . the Atlas HO 50'
> post war NYC jade green box car is a good match to
> the prototype.
>
> http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/Branch
> line/50sd/0216/20013002.jpg

That is a nice car, but it's not from the steam era.

Date: 08/25/17 09:25
Author: SPDRGWfan

CPR_4000 Wrote:
> That is a nice car, but it's not from the steam
> era.

The original post didn't say anything about limited to steam era - only that he was interested in a couple of NYC steam engines. Just saying ...

Cheers, Jim

Date: 08/25/17 12:44
Author: ATSF3751

Walthers has a number of NYC passenger car prototypes. The Budd 64 seat coach is pure NYC, as is the Budd diner. Walther's also made the streamlined 20TH Century Limited, aswell as the specific E7 prototypes, in their PROTO line. There are others as well that may be stand-ins for the NYC. Not an expert on NYC, so others may be able to comment as well. Ebay does offer these locos and cars from time to time.

Date: 08/25/17 13:52
Author: jlcKS

The New York Central ran a Transcontinental Sleeper on the trains into Chicago which would either go on the Chief or Super Chief on the Santa Fe. These were 4-4-2 sleepers that were fluted stainless and some were lettered for the Santa Fe if you can find one to run in you passenger trains it would be per prototype. The UP also had thru sleepers to the west but I do not know if they were UP yellow or Pullman grey.

http://www.trainweb.org/fredatsf/sc51kato.htm

http://old.atsfrr.org/resources/Sandifer/TransconPass/Index.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/17 13:57 by jlcKS.

Date: 08/25/17 19:18
Author: DocJohn

MJV1988 has a good point.  While streamline passenger cars are available, getting non-streamlined passenger cars that were in service through the 1950s is a problem, especially if you do not have the time and skills to build from kits and modify where needed.  None of the passenger cars at that time had six-wheel trucks, something Atlas and other have not learned.  My model rail is based on NYC River Division passenger operation of the mid-to-late 1950s.  It will be easier and cheaper in the long run, to use Rapido RDCs.

John 

Date: 08/25/17 19:51

I very much appreciate all the feedback so far. Yes I find it crazy that a lot of companies are still in the one style fits all category. I honestly haven't seen much since 2000 in the modeling area. I feel like playing catch up and seeing what's out there. I know a lot of stuff now is super expensive especially DCC stuff. I just got a few engines from a RR that I never followed much till recently and really have grown to like the NYC. Plus with all the forums and such these days I figured to get the questions answered that have been bugging me recently. Ex. like the Rivarossi passenger car one I made a couple weeks back. I still have a bunch left. Like spectrum/Athearn passenger cars based off of and quite a few steam/diesel prototype (ex. Rivarossi E8's).

Posted from Android

Date: 08/28/17 01:53
Author: ts1457

The Branchline single window coach (not paired) used a NYC prototype:

http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/Branchline/Passenger/5114.jpg

I am not sure what the availability is since Atlas took over Branchline, but that probably is a car you should grab whenever you see one at a reasonable price.

Good luck with your New York Central endeavors. Even though I did not grow up in NYC territory, that railroad is a sentimental favorite of mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/17 02:00 by ts1457.

Date: 12/10/17 20:45

ts1457 Wrote:
> The Branchline single window coach (not paired)
> used a NYC prototype:
>
> http://www.atlasrr.com/Images/HOFreightCars/Branch
> line/Passenger/5114.jpg
>
> I am not sure what the availability is since Atlas
> took over Branchline, but that probably is a car
> you should grab whenever you see one at a
> reasonable price.
>
> Good luck with your New York Central endeavors.
> Even though I did not grow up in NYC territory,
> that railroad is a sentimental favorite of mine.

Bringing this thread back. One question I wanted to know about these atlas/branchline passenger cars is do they have to be assembled or are they ready to run? I've been searching for the past week at a lot of local hobby shops and even was at the monthly swap meet out by my place today. No luck so far.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/10/17 21:29
Author: DocJohn

Very good point. I have enough ALCO RS-e's to duplicate last year of NYC River Division Passenger service. It would be nice to get the passenger cars ready-to-roll and properly numbered.

John

Date: 12/13/17 22:22
Author: wabash2800

It's my understanding that Atlas is offering the former Branchline passengers cars as RTR only. If they don't offer NYC right now, perhaps they will in the future. The kits show up all the time on Ebay. Though I model the transition era, I don't model NYC passenger trains. However, I recently needed some paired-window Branchline coach kits to model the Wabash, but they are harder to find than the single-window kits and therefore too pricy, IMO. Anyway, I solved the problem with advice from some folks here. I bought some cheaper, single-window kits on Ebay (any road) and Branchline paired window sides from Atlas. Atlas does offer most of the parts from the Branchline Trains line, but it can be a trick to find what you are looking for with its search engine. As an aside, most of the heavyweight paired window coaches on the Wabash had a single center window but the Branchline cars are close enough for me now.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

MJV1988 Wrote:
> Bringing this thread back. One question I wanted
> to know about these atlas/branchline passenger
> cars is do they have to be assembled or are they
> ready to run? I've been searching for the past
> week at a lot of local hobby shops and even was at
> the monthly swap meet out by my place today. No
> luck so far.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 12/14/17 10:50

wabash2800 Wrote:
> It's my understanding that Atlas is offering the
> former Branchline passengers cars as RTR only. If
> they don't offer NYC right now, perhaps they will
> in the future. The kits show up all the time on
> Ebay. Though I model the transition era, I don't
> model NYC passenger trains. However, I recently
> needed some paired-window Branchline coach kits to
> model the Wabash, but they are harder to find than
> the single-window kits and therefore too pricy,
> IMO. Anyway, I solved the problem with advice from
> some folks here. I bought some cheaper,
> single-window kits on Ebay (any road) and
> Branchline paired window sides from Atlas. Atlas
> does offer most of the parts from the Branchline
> Trains line, but it can be a trick to find what
> you are looking for with its search engine. As an
> aside, most of the heavyweight paired window
> coaches on the Wabash had a single center window
> but the Branchline cars are close enough for me
> now.
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com
>
>
> MJV1988 Wrote:
> > Bringing this thread back. One question I
> wanted
> > to know about these atlas/branchline passenger
> > cars is do they have to be assembled or are
> they
> > ready to run? I've been searching for the past
> > week at a lot of local hobby shops and even was
> at
> > the monthly swap meet out by my place today. No
> > luck so far.
> >
> > Posted from Android

Wabash,

After some deeper searching. The coaches are sold as ready to run. Looks like they came out in late 2012. I've contacted about 10 different hobby shops in the Chicagoland area with no luck so far. I have p/n's now and will just have to keep searching on ebay and the web. I will also be posting a WANTED post eventually too.

Date: 12/14/17 21:18
Author: wabash2800

Good luck, however, I do believe that the coaches should roll on four-wheel trucks to be correct for New York Central, as someone mentioned in this thread. It seems that the Branchline coaches offered by Atlas are all with six-wheel trucks.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0677 seconds