Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Model Railroading > Micro Engineering Yard ladder system

Date: 10/11/17 07:32
Micro Engineering Yard ladder system
Author: rschonfelder

I wonder if anyone has used these or knows of the product?

I was looking at photos of the product on MB Klein and the package says to check out the Micro Engineering website for more info but that website doesn't seem to have any exclusive info on this. I believe the ladder system has up to five different turnouts which go together in sequence. The SKU identifies this by each having a suffix of "a,b,c,d and e". Looking at the photo attached, it seems this distinction is the extension attached for the preceding turnout in the ladder.

The system seems to crowd the turnouts closer together.

Rick

Date: 10/11/17 08:14
Re: Micro Engineering Yard ladder system
Author: tmurray

the ME site doesn't really have anything, but others do.

PWRS has an overall description:
https://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=12184

But better than that, Crusader Rail has some great PDFs from ME with descriptions. I just wish they had made these with code 70 rail, as they're for yard use.
http://www.crusaderrail.com/pubs/mec_inst_14-712.pdf

Date: 10/11/17 08:28
Author: SPDRGWfan

I have read positive comments about the ME ladder system. I don't see any reason not to use it as long as your equipment is ok with #5 turnouts. Long equipment such as 89' flat cars and auto racks may operate better on a #6 ladder.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 10/11/17 10:25
Author: SantaFeRuss

I have installed these at the club I am a member of and they are in use now. They really look good and performance is great. They are a space saver and these turnouts are closer to scale than other popular brands of turnouts. All major manufacturers rolling stock and locomotives roll nicely through them.

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android

Date: 10/11/17 11:29

Russ, so you run 89' flat cars and auto racks through the S-curve's of the ME #5 ladder ok?

Date: 10/11/17 11:36
Author: SantaFeRuss

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Russ, so you run 89' flat cars and auto racks
> through the S-curve's of the ME #5 ladder ok?

Yes. Long cars do run fine through the turnouts. Of course one has to negotiate the trackage at yard limit speeds. Even AutoMax type auto racks roll through successfully.

SantaFeRuss

Posted from Android

Date: 10/11/17 12:26

I've seen some cautionary statements regarding long cars by some regarding #5 turnouts in yards. Personally I'm going to stick with #6 yard ladders - but the ME ladder system does look tempting - especially in a limited space environment.

Cheers, Jim

Date: 10/11/17 19:06
Author: DKay

I had a look at these at the recent Narrow Gauge Convention.Looks to be a well thought out system to save space.
Regards,DK.

Date: 10/12/17 10:06
Author: rschonfelder

My interest in the #5 yard ladder are for storage only. I do run 89' flats and am most concerned with stuff not derailing rather than looking good.

An additional question that I now have after reading those links provided above, it looks like one can do more than five turnouts in the yard ladder but I am looking for confirmation of this. I find it unusual that there are five different pieces to this configuration and wonder which turnouts to use/add if one wants to have an 8 track ladder? My guess is the "d" and "e".

Rick

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/17 10:22 by rschonfelder.

Date: 10/13/17 13:48
Author: mcdeo

I'm also looking closely at these, as I plan a small yard in the future. My questions is, what is the yard track spacing? And then, if you say put in a RH 'B', then the ladder is LH, is the C as the second switch, going to produce the same spacing as D's after it, followed by one last E. Kind of hoping for some actual paper cut out blue prints I can put in place before the purchase.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 10/13/17 21:12
Author: OHRY

mcdeo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm also looking closely at these, as I plan a
> small yard in the future. My questions is, what is
> the yard track spacing? And then, if you say put
> in a RH 'B', then the ladder is LH, is the C as
> the second switch, going to produce the same
> spacing as D's after it, followed by one last E.
> Kind of hoping for some actual paper cut out blue
> prints I can put in place before the purchase.

Go to the crusader rail web site. They have cut outs you can print out and play around with.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0499 seconds