Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Model Railroading > Hobby shops around Southwestern FL?

Date: 12/11/17 04:48
Hobby shops around Southwestern FL?
Author: trainnut7

Will be house sitting after the first of the year, and was wondering about the location of any good hobby shops in the are of Southwestern FL? Are there any rail museum's, or rail activity in the area? Thx in advance. PS any cure for rail withdrawal? Jim

Date: 12/11/17 05:23
Re: Hobby shops around Southwestern FL?
Author: RichM

Sarasota area... Gulf Coast Model Railroad Shop

Date: 12/11/17 05:25
Author: NSTopHat

There are two shops that I am aware of, as my in-laws live in Naples and I need a fix myself during our spring break visits. The first one is Metro Trains & Hobby @ 12951 Metro Pkwy #8, Fort Myers, FL 33966. The second is Gulf Coast Model Railroad @ 3222 Clark Rd, Sarasota, FL 34231. Both are really nice stores. There's also a HobbyTown USA and a place called "Family Hobby Center", both in Naples, neither of which I have personally been to, so I can't comment.

As far as real railroading, the Seminole Gulf Rwy. is a fully functioning railroad, as well as hosts a dinner train. Their operations are based just east of the GA airport in Ft. Meyers, not SW FL Int'l Airport. It's between Colonial Blvd & Winkler, parallel to Metro Blvd. SGR doesn't travel much south of Ft. Myers, even though, when I was last there in March, the line appeared to still be in tact through Bonita Springs. I have seen them running on the line parallel to I-75 between exits 143 & 158.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 12/11/17 06:19

Thx for the help. I will be staying in Bonita Springs, which is no mans land for trains compared to Illinois

Date: 12/11/17 08:48
Author: RayH

Another endorsement for Gulf Coast Model RR in Sarasota. Been there a few times while on vacation.

I'm not sure of the current operations for Seminole Gulf, but in earlier years I have chased them from Punta Gorda to Arcadia (or in the opposite direction). I've heard they run up to Arcadia one day, and back the next. It's definitely worth checking out. It was much more interesting years back, when they used a C425 and/or Geeps. Last time I was there, it was a pair of B boats (but still a worthwhile chase).

Date: 12/11/17 10:09
Author: CPR_4000

SGLR does run south of Fort Myers a couple times a week. I think they service a lumber yard on Alico Road. Track is out of service south of there.

Also, in Parrish (about 1 1/2 hr north of Fort Myers) is the Florida Railroad Museum. http://www.frrm.org/

There's a model railroad club in Fort Myers: http://www.scalerails.org/ They hold a swap meet in February.

Date: 12/11/17 10:21
Author: CPR_4000

NSTopHat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Their operations are based just
> east of the GA airport in Ft. Meyers, not SW FL
> Int'l Airport.

That's Page Field. The SGLR yard is just north of Idlewild Road off Metro Parkway. The tracks follow the Ten Mile Canal, which is accessible by a bike path; there may be trees between the path/canal and railroad. Most customers appear to be located between where Metro crosses the tracks on a bridge (north of Colonial Blvd) and the river.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/17 14:48 by CPR_4000.

Date: 12/11/17 10:38
Author: retcsxcfm

The sugar cane season will be running Nov.-Mar.
Go east to Clewston for many trains.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 12/11/17 13:23

Thx a million for all the information.

Date: 12/11/17 16:36
Author: RayH

Forgot to mention, if you do follow the train to/from Arcadia...

Watch where you're stepping and beware of reptiles.

Date: 12/11/17 16:42
Author: Finderskeepers

Not sure if you are going to be around St.Petersburg, but H&R trains is Florida's largest, and I think was only second to the old Caboose Hobbies, its well worth a visit!

"The store is now the largest model train store in Florida and the second largest in the United States, they said. They ship worldwide and have well-known customers who include Burt Reynolds, former Buccaneer Warren Sapp, members of Mannheim Steamroller and Sally Jesse Raphael. The late Gary Coleman was also a client. It's not unusual to see a cab or limousine waiting outside while a collector from elsewhere shops.

The business is not simply a store.

It's also a model train complex with an outdoor garden railroad, a research library and learning center with DVDs and video tapes on both prototype and model railroad subjects as well as books and magazines dating from 1939. The library has a computer design station so customers can design their own models.

Not only do the Morrises create parts and scenery, they also install and service the installations. And they've been e-tailing for many years. They have activities for children and two train shows a year that draw collectors from around the globe."

Date: 12/11/17 17:52
Author: fbe

Take a long midweek trip to drive the old railroad row to Key West, FL. This does take awhile to accompolish but is worth the time. There is good FEC history at the museum at Key West and the story of why the line now abandoned was so important to Florida's development. There is also a nice lighthouse tour. The Hemmingway house tour is worth a wait unless you are allergic to cats. Night life there is laid back. You will not regret time you spend in Key West.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds