Home Open Account Help 194 users online

Model Railroading > Tsunami2's and JMRI using PR4

Date: 04/05/18 09:55
Tsunami2's and JMRI using PR4
Author: flippin77

So I've got the above all set up using a program track, everything is talking to one another. JMRI reads the decoder, but when I go to set the sound CV's...nothing.

Athearn has the factory sound settings wide open and with the size layout I have and every loco with sound; I need the volume dropped on these. Its not just one TS2, its all of them (5). Is there a CV that triggers the main volume in order to get them to be recognized? I've searched the web and can't find anything that I haven't done. Wondering if its something proprietary with this board and Athearn?

If any of you have come across this or have any ideas I appreciate your help and feedback.

Thanks..
Andy

Date: 04/05/18 16:44
Re: Tsunami2's and JMRI using PR4
Author: Jeff_Johnston

CV 128 is the master volume control. The whistle (CV 129) bell (CV 130) exhaust (CV 131) and airpump (CV 132) all have individual volumes, as well. These are for a steam decoder, yours may vary if for a diesel.

Good luck!

Jeff Johnston
www.trainvideosandparts.com

Date: 04/05/18 17:38
Author: RioGrandeFan

I'm not positive with the Tsunami2, but the older Tsunami's required a program track booster wired between the program track outputs of the DCC system and the program track itself. The DCC Specialties PowerPax or the SoundTraxx PTB-100 would both be suitable.

This booster is needed to pre-fill the on-board capacitor with power so that the programming information gets through to the decoder. Without the booster the programming information gets absorbed by the capacitor and then you get error messages.

Just something to look into.

Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
Denver, CO

Date: 04/05/18 20:30
Author: Greydog30

the only thing I have found that change Tsunami2 CV's is Sprog3 with Jmri

Date: 04/06/18 09:34
Author: ChrisCampi

While I don’t use JMRI yet, I have been able to set master volume on the main with CV 128.. Other more involved CV’s, like function mapping, braking, no luck on the main or program track.

Edit to say the sound quality on these new TS2’s is very good. So good that I’ve had to reduce the volume level to value 20 on the GP40-2 to get a reasonable volume level from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/18 09:42 by ChrisCampi.

Date: 04/06/18 09:45

Thanks everyone for your replys and PM's. I'll keep trying....

Andy

Date: 04/07/18 08:47
Author: BAB

RioGrandeFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not positive with the Tsunami2, but the older
> Tsunami's required a program track booster wired
> between the program track outputs of the DCC
> system and the program track itself. The DCC
> Specialties PowerPax or the SoundTraxx PTB-100
> would both be suitable.
>
> This booster is needed to pre-fill the on-board
> capacitor with power so that the programming
> information gets through to the decoder. Without
> the booster the programming information gets
> absorbed by the capacitor and then you get error
> messages.
>
> Just something to look into.
>
> Lee Ryan - Rio Grande Fan
> Denver, CO

Never had a problem without one don't see any need for one and have programed with my NCE hammer head controller every type of soundtraxx also don't use any fancy program thing to do it either. Just put the CV in and away I go. I know little about programing by the way just want to fix some sounds to my satisfaction.
I use an isolated piece of track above my workbench that is only hooked to program with nothing else.

Date: 04/07/18 09:57
Author: TomG

> Never had a problem without one don't see any
> need for one and have programed with my NCE hammer
> head controller every type of soundtraxx also
> don't use any fancy program thing to do it either.
> Just put the CV in and away I go. I know little
> about programing by the way just want to fix some
> sounds to my satisfaction.
> I use an isolated piece of track above my
> workbench that is only hooked to program with
> nothing else.

If your using a power cab, it has enough power to force access the tsunami sound decoders, the other systems don't, which is why you need the booster.

Date: 04/07/18 17:22
Author: ChrisCampi

flippin77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks everyone for your replys and PM's. I'll
> keep trying....
>
> Andy

Any luck with this Andy? Should be as simple as putting a value into CV 128. Perphaps JMRI set CV32 to page 1,2, or 3?

Date: 04/08/18 09:52
Author: fbe

The Tsunami 2 Diesel User's Guide on Page 14 bottom notes the decoder does not need a power booster like the PB-100 when programming CV values.

You can read and download the guide at the Soundtraxx/Tsunami2 webpage.

Date: 04/10/18 04:58

I haven't had a chance yet Chris. I'll probably get to it this weekend and report back. If it was one loco giving me fits I'd say its just a stubborn board but I have 5 that are all acting the same way.

Thanks again everyone.

Andy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0627 seconds