Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Model Railroading > Business train opinion(s)

Date: 04/05/18 11:14
Business train opinion(s)
Author: 4489

All;

I have completed the acquisition of my business train consist.

Totally not patterned after anything prototypical, however it is what I like.
So my question would be how would one suggest the line up of the cars which are as follows;

HEP unit.

Great Dome

Short Budd Dome

10/6 Sleeping car.

Dining car.

Kato Budd Business car.

Yes the HEP unit first and the Business car last, However how would you see the rest marshalled.

I am just curious as to how others would see this.

Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/18 10:45 by 4489.

Date: 04/05/18 11:59
Re: Business train opinion(s)
Author: tehachapi-dave

Personally, this is how I would lay out the train.

HEP, Short Dome, 10/6 Sleeper, Diner, Great Dome, Business car

This way the domes are spread out so any passengers riding in them can get a good view, the sleeper is far enough away from the HEP car not to be a disturbance, and the diner is located centrally in the train.
Would be great to see some photos of the train once you have it put together.

Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

Date: 04/05/18 13:17
Author: toledopatch

I'd probably put the sleeper just ahead of the 'business car' to put it as far away from the noise sources at the head end as possible. Probably put the diner ahead of the sleeper and the domes in front of the diner, although the previous suggestion of spreading the domes to two locations in the train also has merit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/18 13:17 by toledopatch.

Date: 04/05/18 16:48
Author: BNModeler

I would add a couple more sleepers and a lounge car too.

Date: 04/05/18 18:09
Author: ICE6A4001

Depends if the sleeper is intended for crew or guests. Crew sleeper will be by the HEP car.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/05/18 22:30
Author: emd_mrs1

HEP cars can be really quiet now if they are well built and insulated.

The RBB circus train's power car has a VERY large capacity diesel motor to supply power to 50+ passenger cars. You can walk down the hallway right beside it and only hear a muffled rumble. You need not raise your voice if having a conversation. If you stand outside next to the train, it sounds more like a truck motor when it passes.

I would place the sleeper where it would have the least foot traffic to prevent interruption and provide privacy to those sleeping, however one must consider horn noise if the train is moving when the occupants are sleeping. Many times they prefer a hotel for over nighting.

I would place the diner between the sleeper and the dome cars, followed by the business/office/theater cars.

Michael

Date: 04/06/18 15:58
Author: Bob3985

Here's how I would run the train. HEP, Short dome, Great Dome, diner, sleeper and then the business car. Keep all the general traffic ahead of the sleeper.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 04/07/18 18:42
Author: 4489

All;

Many thanks for all of the great suggestions.

Will have to make up my mind but I like them all, LOL.

BTW the HEP unit will be an E8/9B converted to HEP use only!

As far as photos these cars are all so far away from prototype I would not wish the purists to call me out!!!!! Just kidding.

Cheers and thanks again.

Date: 04/09/18 19:46
Author: bnsfsd70

This is my thought as well. With the BNSF trains, there's often a crew sleeper that goes along for the ride with most any of the longer, overnight trains. Those cars are typically placed right next to the HEP cars at the head end.

- Jeff Carlson

ICE6A4001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Depends if the sleeper is intended for crew or
> guests. Crew sleeper will be by the HEP car.
>
> Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds