Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Model Railroading > How do you mount masonry windows?

Date: 08/10/18 23:47
How do you mount masonry windows?
Author: steam290

Framed windows are easy enough when scratchbuilding, but I can not figure out how you’re supposed to install masonry windows. I feel dumb for asking, but there is no lip or flange on the back like on a frame window, sonthere is very little to hold it in place or glue it to the styrene brick. I’m using masonry windows from tichy train group. I’ve asked this question on a forum before and searched YouTube for an instructional, but haven’t found what I was looking for. Photos would be great so I can actually see how people do it.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/11/18 05:03
Re: How do you mount masonry windows?
Author: Bscale316

I made a very narrow flange or lip around the back of the window opening in the wall, using thin strip styrene. The masonry window rests against that. 
The flange or lip won't show if it only protrudes slightly into the opening, and you paint the edge black.
Bill Hadley in Ft Worth

Date: 08/11/18 08:59
Author: wabash2800

Since I scratchbuild mostly, I make the wall thickness where the window attaches to accomodate. Incidentally, modelers, including the best, have been using regular windows for masonry for years but flip them and mount them from the inside. That actually is a benefit too since there is a flange on the inside to affix the windows to the wall.

This is a project where I flipped the windows and mounted them from the inside.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/18 09:01 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/11/18 20:24
Author: up833

I just completed repairs to a 1:1 window last week. The frame sits half way on the concrete block wall and is fastened into the block with screws.  So the idea of using a regular window mounted inside is pretty realistic looking on the outside.
RB

Date: 08/11/18 22:25
Author: steam290

Wow! That tower looks great! The regular frame windows are just so easy to mount in comparison. I have found it easier to scratch-build my own masonry windows than use the ones available. That just doesn’t make sense unless there is something big I’m missing. I’m getting more and more interested in scratchbuilding, but this one piece has been keeping me from doing brick structures.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/12/18 19:43
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for the kind comments. I think my skills will get better the more practice I get.

I modified some of the windows on this structure. I removed some mullions on the bottom windows to get a good match. On the top ones, no one made them with the three-pane upper transom, common with Wabash towers, so I modified one for a master and cast duplicates from resin. But again, not one of these windows is a masonry window but regular ones that were reversed and mounted from teh inside.

I believe that bit of wisdom came from long-time and excellent modeler John Nehrich.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilpublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/18 19:46 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/13/18 22:28
Author: up833

Remember too that in that era all the windows were wood frame. The jamb, without trim, is bolted or screwed..concrete nails in some cases and then any space is caulked or mortared.
RB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1002 seconds