Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Model Railroading > Those Corner Areas

Date: 12/15/18 07:01
Those Corner Areas
Author: Jimmies

The corner areas of our layouts can be problem areas as far as figuring out what to do with them goes, and this one of mine had sat empty for ever. I finally had inspiration to do something with it when I noticed a pair of storage tanks that were about to be taken down at a local refinery.  I kind of wish there was room for 3 cars, but 2 will have to do.  And it looks a whole lot better than it did.

Jim
https://jssxrailway.blogspot.com

Date: 12/15/18 07:30
Re: Those Corner Areas
Author: cabman

That's a beautiful way to solve your problem.  Love it!

Date: 12/15/18 07:56
Author: Bob3985

Perfect touch to a layout corner.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/15/18 08:07
Author: icancmp193

Your tank weathering is right up there with your freight cars!

TJY

Date: 12/15/18 09:58
Author: wjpyper

Excellent work! Thanks for posting.
Bill Pyper
Salem, Oregon

Date: 12/15/18 10:59
Author: ghemr

That industry fits perfectly! The rusty fence in addition to the rusty tanks are an added bonus!!

Date: 12/15/18 14:01
Author: eddiejack102

You got to be happy with that one

Date: 12/15/18 17:11
Author: exhaustED

Looks fantastic, great attention to detail.

Date: 12/15/18 18:18
Author: DynamicBrake

Jim, your weathering and attention to detail is "off the chart."  Thanks for sharing your incredible work.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 12/15/18 19:05
Author: Hookdragkick

Plenty of room for a second switch and track--1 car spot--boom,  now you have three tanks! Good job though, always enjoy what you put out.

Date: 12/15/18 21:59
Author: steeplecab

I hate to sound like an old grump, but you've parked propane cars in front of an oil tank. Do you have any of the 30,000 gallon oil tank cars you could use instead? Propane is unloaded into horizontal pressure tanks such as these from Walthers. https://www.walthers.com/propane-ammonia-storage-tanks-kit

It's really great weathering, and I'd like the nitpickers to not find such easy targets.

Date: 12/16/18 06:48

Thanks all for looking in and especially to those who left their comments.
For TJY, because of the tanks' surface being curved the brush tended to want to wander off-vertical when doing some of the streaking rust stains.
And Steeplecab, no worries, you're absolutely right. They are propane cars, and I knew that.  But they're the tank cars I have, so I used them.  Thanks for the link and your comment.
Nobody commented on the cement slab of the quonset hut sitting on top of the ground cover.  I fixed that last night.

You can see more at https://jssxrailway.blogspot.com
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/18 06:51 by Jimmies.

Date: 12/16/18 18:05
Author: BAB

Heck just figured that the crew who set out the tank cars messed up and the tank truck driver was inside calling his boss.  Now about that slab call it a cement porch and forget it. Boyd ps love the weathering job.

Date: 12/20/18 13:14
Author: bnsfsd70

Great work here!

What’d you use for the fencing? It looks very nice.

- Jeff Carlson 

Date: 12/21/18 15:58

Just saw your question about my fencing, so I'm sorry if this reply is late.  I made the posts and horizontal chords from steel wire glued together, I forget the guage, but about .025 or so, and the actual chain link is bridal veil material called tulle.  I appreciate your comment and thank yo for asking about the fence.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2029 seconds