Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Model Railroading > Bachmann Pennsylvania F7 #9832

Date: 12/14/18 16:39
Bachmann Pennsylvania F7 #9832
Author: bodkin6071

Was at my local Menards this afternoon and picked up this HO scale trainset. A Bachmann "Rail Splitter" set sold only at Menards for $99, that I only got for $76 plus tax, using a $20 off rebate coupon. And on to the feature...

Engine, is a PRR F7 in the Tuscan Red paint. Came with a Southern gondola and a Milwaukee Road 40 foot boxcar, plus a PRR caboose. Comes with a 36 inch loop of track and power pack, both which weren't needed with my 4x8 layout, but extra parts will always come in handy later.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/18 19:40 by bodkin6071.

Date: 12/14/18 16:44
Re: Bachmann Pennsylvania FP7 #9832

The train set at the store before I took it home.

Back at home, the #9832 works its first train, a work train (Actually was running the track cleaning car several laps). 

#9832 pulls its first freight.

Date: 12/14/18 17:03
Author: PHall

That's not an FP7. That's just a "regular" F7. FP7's have the extra 4 foot hatch between the engine fan hatch and the dynamic brake hatch.

Date: 12/14/18 17:31
Author: boejoe

The caboose (PRR cabin car) is the extended/wide vision style that PRR did not have in their assortment.  But train manufacturers will arrange what their product line offers.  If it gets someone into the hobby, then so be it.  One can always add/build from there.  Otherwise, the tuscan color and five stripes look reasonably accurate.  Tuscan colored engines on the PRR were principally used on passenger trains but, I'm sure, there's an exception out there somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/18 17:33 by boejoe.

Date: 12/14/18 17:41

Caboose is a standard Bachmann issue. I have also seen the very same caboose in UP, ATSF, and CNW dress. I own the CNW one, that came in another Menards exclusive set, the "C&NW Express". I guess whatever fits...

Yes, it is indeed a regular F7. I was going by the actual PRR #9832 prototype, which was a FP7. Learn something new.

Date: 12/14/18 18:53
Author: CPR_4000

bodkin6071 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, it is indeed a regular F7. I was going by the
> actual PRR #9832 prototype, which was a FP7.

I guess Bachmann should get a little credit for numbering the engine appropriately for the paint scheme, but the only Tuscan Red F's on the Pennsy were the FP7's and their accompanying B units.

Date: 12/15/18 10:57
Author: fbe

The caboose is wrong.

The boxcar is wrong.

The gondola is wrong.

The locomotive is wrong.

Welcome to the toy train market.

Date: 12/15/18 12:49
Author: TomG

And if your happy with it and enjoy running it, Thats the whole story. Enjoy your hobbie.

fbe Wrote:
> The caboose is wrong.
>
> The boxcar is wrong.
>
> The gondola is wrong.
>
> The locomotive is wrong.
>
> Welcome to the toy train market.

Date: 12/15/18 13:02

Yep, aside from the various inaccuracies, I am perfectly happy with the train set and wouldn't have it any other way. 

TomG Wrote:
> And if your happy with it and enjoy running it,
> Thats the whole story. Enjoy your hobbie.
>
>

Date: 12/15/18 13:26
Author: jejhnsn

The caboose is wrong.

The boxcar is wrong.

The gondola is wrong.

The locomotive is wrong.

Welcome to the toy train market.

The Grinch speaks!

Date: 12/15/18 16:48

But it wouldn't have cost 10 cents more to make all the items right sayeth the Grinch.

Date: 12/16/18 08:14
Author: jejhnsn

Tell it to Bachmann.  After your comments bodkin probably will forever feel his new purchase is unworthy.  If a friend shows you his new car do you start telling him how much of a mistake he made?

Date: 12/16/18 18:00

Bodkin reports, "aside from the defeciencies, I am happy" Works for me. Bachmann is another story. They are improving with their Spectrum line but I wouldn't but a Spectrum SD40-2 given other versions of this model on the market. I have repaired so many of their crap steam engines which no longer have a lifetime warranty they have soured me.

Then they do make a nice running and good looking E33C and I own a trio of them. Why oh why did they paint the cars which go with the diesel so wrong and include a caboose which was painted in and an imaginary scheme on a body not built until after the locomotive model and the railroad was gone?

j7ejhnsn Wrote:
> Tell it to Bachmann.  After your comments bodkin
> probably will forever feel his new purchase is
> unworthy.  If a friend shows you his new car do
> you start telling him how much of a mistake he
> made?

Date: 12/17/18 12:16
Author: jridge

Because it's Bachmann!

Date: 12/18/18 20:42
Author: gonx

Tonight I just saw a similar Bachman set at Hobby Lobby; same two freight cars but with Norfolk Southern F unit and matching caboose.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0634 seconds