Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Model Railroading > What is the most realistic syrene brick sheet in HO?

Date: 01/11/19 15:14
What is the most realistic syrene brick sheet in HO?
Author: steam290

I have been experimenting a lot recently with kitbashing and scratchbuilding, but one thing I have noticed is that not all styrine brick is created the same. Some of the Plastruct stuff is ok... I have tried it, and I have also tried some cheaper stuff from Hobby Lobby which I liked about as well... still, these lack detail and realism. The Plastruct stuff in particular seems to have slightly rounded brick.  Compared with the brick on a Downtown Deco model, (for example), the brick sheet leaves a lot to be desired.  Does anyone know of a just really great brick sheet with a high level of quality and detail?

I have actually posted about this (kind of) Before, but the question was never really answered. I went back and my original question was actually about casting my own brick walls, but I now realize that even if I am casting my own brick, the best way to start might be with high quality brick sheet.

Also, while we are on this topic, what kind of puddy to you guys use to fill gaps in plastic?

Date: 01/11/19 15:22
Re: What is the most realistic syrene brick sheet in HO?
Author: wabash2800

As I mentioned before (with photos), I use paper brick sheet with a peelable backing from Micro-Mark with texture and the color of the brick and mortar (from an actual photograph) already there. I  haven't found any styrene brick sheet that is scale size in HO. They are all oversized.

In theory, if you can get the right brick size, bevel the edges and get the color of the brick and mortar right, you'll have a winner.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 01/11/19 15:39
Author: steam290

I have used a good bit of paper brick, but it's all of the flat variety.  I have found, (personally) that I can make styrine look more realistic than the paper brick when I weather it, add mortar with a white paint wash, then go over it with india ink and pan pastells.  I have used the flat printed paper brick  more than plastic in the past, but It doesn't work as well for my heavy weathering techniqeus. 

I have not tried the Micro-Mark paper brick with texture.  I'm afraid my ink wash would destroy it.  Any thoughts?  I like using the ink wash because (modeling the steam era), I need everthing to be as grimy as possible.

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I mentioned before (with photos), I use paper
> brick sheet with a peelable backing from
> Micro-Mark with texture and the color of the brick
> and mortar (from an actual photograph) already
> there. I  haven't found any styrene brick sheet
> that is scale size in HO. They are all oversized.
>
> In theory, if you can get the right brick size,
> bevel the edges and get the color of the brick and
> mortar right, you'll have a winner.
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 01/11/19 16:18
Author: wabash2800

Steam290:

You could use dry chalk with the Micro-Mark texured brick paper but forget about painting it. Anything wet will damage it.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds